"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sunny - we probably don't really know what to ask for so why don't you post some - I for one wouldn't know what dish to ask for because I'm not familiar with any. I could change the thread title to Sunny's Russian Recipes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I remember that the Russian family I knew put a few dishes on the table. I did make some, my Mum made the eggplant dip thing a few months ago with tomato and we enjoyed that heated on toast. I must find my book, it has been put away. We always have jars of fish in any shop around here so that is a good idea for me.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
Head Chef

"White Russians and Black Russians" are nice...lol. Down the hatch!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have also been intrigued by Russian cooking. This is a website I just stumbled across a few days ago and it is packed with interesting recipes and nice articles also. Take a look!!
http://www.ruscuisine.com/

Licia
Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My fish and book was actually Scandivanian, I must have been tired.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Master Chef

I never really liked this site; I donít know, something about the recipes that just doesnít sound real. As if, somebody took a normal recipe and decided to make into something extremely fancy or weird. I donít know. I actually have never run across a decent English book or e-site of Russian cuisine. There are very few of them to begin with.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

ruscuisine is pretty good. many of the recipes have been westernized for ingredients etc, but are close to what I recognize from what I have been served in homes and restaurants both here and in Eastern Europe.

Also remember, as with any national cuisine, there are local variants, rigorously guarded and defended as the REAL item. But for any one interested in Russian foods and recipes, this is a goos site. Also check out Dover Publications' ethnic cookbook reprints. lotta good stuff there.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

This is a big confession, but I have sometimes felt that way about American food. But I find myself sticking up for American cooking these days. I think if you give things a chance eventually you work out where it is all coming from.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #19
Master Chef

Maniac, the site was very interesting. I've bookmarked it for further inspection.
K&C, I think American cooking is great! Our ethnic diversity and plentiful supply of food has brought all the world's great quisines to our fingertips.
So we mix & match a little...that's what makes it so good.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I think some of the posts in this thread have frightened off the OP, she/he hasn't added any Russian recipes to this thread.

I would be interested, I had a Russian girl whose family came over to Scotland when she was about 12 (her Dad was a lecturer at the Uni, I seem to recall) - I was often invited to tea or to dinner and some of the food was really delicious. So I beg to differ that Russians can't cook

Tags
None