Samosas take some skill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Made up a batch of Samosas today and out of about 40 of them, I may have gotten 5 that are actually triangular shaped. I planned to make them last night but things got all mixed up and had to refrigerate the potato mixture. Cold potatoes aren't as soft, unfortunately so that also contributed to the difficulty I had. They are all sealed and completed and hopefully edible...but, next time, I will be ready....

I used small egg roll/won ton wrappers. I was going to make them from scratch last night but like I said, things got all mixed up so I had to abort the mission. This morning I had to think quick to save the potato mixture and had a pack of wraps in the freezer. I think they are thinner than the home made version which is why I had a bit of trouble filling them....

Love samosas, who cares if they are a little misshapen? I bet they taste great. If you end up being happy with the filling will you share the recipe?

I used small egg roll/won ton wrappers. I was going to make them from scratch last night but like I said, things got all mixed up so I had to abort the mission. This morning I had to think quick to save the potato mixture and had a pack of wraps in the freezer. I think they are thinner than the home made version which is why I had a bit of trouble filling them....
Life's too short to make your own wrappers as Shirley Conran might have said. An Indian friend suggested filo pastry and I've seen Indian chefs on cookery programmes use it so there wouldn't seem to be authenticity issues. Just remember to brush the strip with butter or oil.

This link is useful but I'm a bit more careful with the seal at the end of the strip of pastry than he is. It's a lot easier than folding first and then filling as you see done on some demos:-

How to fold a samosa or a pastille - YouTube

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom