"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 07-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thanks Bang! :D I only have about a 1/2 pound left! :D
Get some more :!: You will want to make this alot. Trust me.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
side bacon is good with sauerkraut, as well as sausage.....and potatoes.......sauerkraut rocks! One day I'm gonna get a crock and make my own...now that's the sh**! Dad makes his all the time...mmmmm

tancowgirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #13
Send a message via AIM to GaArt Send a message via Yahoo to GaArt
Originally Posted by Barbara L

Buy some spare ribs (I prefer the country style). Dump your sauerkraut into a baking pan or casserole. Arrange ribs on top. Salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil (or lid). Check a cookbook for time and temp. (I'm thinking 350 degrees but it has been awhile, so check!). When it is almost done, remove foil and let finish uncovered to brown. This goes great with mashed potatoes (you can make the sour cream and chive potatoes I posted) and baby peas. This is one of the best meals around!!

:) Barbara
yes we did this the other day... yum
GaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
Master Chef
This is one of those no real recipes. I believe it's Alsacian. But if you have a lot of kraut, and a big family or good group of friends ...

drain, squeeze your saurkraut, rinse and repeat.

sautee some onions and apple slices until just carmelized. set aside.

brown the following:

pork chops
sausages (smoked, fresh, or both)
ham (shanks or thick slices)

Put all together, barely cover with water, and cook either on low on stovetop, in a crock pot, or in the oven at a slow heat for a couple of hours.

A lot of people like to add some sugar to taste.

I'd serve with hearty bread or even polenta. A very light cucumber salad. Lots of something like rhein wine.

I do not remember what this dish is called, and I'm sure someone out there can come up with a more authentic, disciplined version. All I know is that it calls for smoked meats and saurkraut.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Throw it out, buy a plane ticket and come here to Munich where sauerkraut tastes good. :P

Just kidding. I really don't have any idea what to do with manufactured sauerkraut in the US because over here it's a bit sweet, very fresh tasting and very delicious. I guess they don't "pickle" it as much. My mom would tell you to cut up some hot dogs and have sauerkraut and weenies. That's what she force-fed me as a child.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #16
Master Chef
a family favorite:
-1 or 2 bags sauerkraut, pork roast, baby red potatoes, and lots and lots of black pepper all in a big roaster, covered and baked till done. i haven't made this on my own before, but my Dad makes it often and it's really simple. good with a nice grainy mustard or horseradish for dipping and my Dad and i alwaya wash it down with a nice cold beer.
i have only tried canned sauerkraut once and it tasted tinny to me.
or else you can throw it into a pot on the stove with some kielbossa. again, good with a grainy mustard. it's good with hot sauce and black pepper as a side for pork chops, or you can bake them in it.
crockpot reuben is good. (need a recipe? i have a few.)
it's good with pierogies, too.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
There is a good sauerkraut salad on the net too.
Kabana&Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #18
Head Chef
Beef and Kraut Casserole

Ground beef with kraut is great too! Add a little brown sugar and whatever else you want!
You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 AM   #19
Senior Cook

here in Germany (where the home of Sauerkraut is.. ), we make mashed potatoes, Sauerkraut (only let it cook for ca. 15 Min. (if it is a good spiced one), and nuckle of pork or smoked pork chop..

It is so delicous.

But if you want, I īve a recipe from my slowenien father-in-law, itīs called Szegediner Gulasch (goulash).

greetings from cloudly Germany
Love your life, than the life loves you
karaburun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #20
Executive Chef

There are some really interesting ideas here. I recently read that sauerkraut is good for the digestion. They suggested drinking the juice which I can't believe. DS I appreciate you making the request. How can you decide which to try first? They all sound so different.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote