Sauerkraut Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use sauerkraut as a bed for my cabbage rolls, along with the chopped inner part of the cabbage. It makes them so good!

Here's a salad I used to make for my ex...he loved it:

SOUR KRAUT SALAD

1 can sauerkraut, drained
1 lg. onion, diced fine
1 lg. green pepper, diced fine
1 c. celery, diced fine
1/2 c. salad oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar

Combine sauerkraut, onion, green pepper and celery. Beat until thick: salad oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad. Refrigerate and let stand overnight.

ItK, yes it is right what you read about sauerkraut juice. In Germany you can buy the sauerkraut juice in health food stores.
Sauerkraut juice contains a lot of vitamin c and lactobacillus (which are happen to be in a healthy gut). The live and active lactobacillus in the juice is good for the gut flora and provides a trouble free, healthy digestion. Aside from that the juice helps to detoxify and to purify your body bit by bit.
Sauerkraut juice is low in calorie, high in fiber and good digestible.

This is one of my favorite ways to use sauerkraut. Sorry I didn't get in here when you still had a lot of it left.

SAUERKRAUT AND PORK
6-7 lb country-style spareribs or chops or loin roast
browned and seasoned with salt and pepper
3 lbs sauerkraut, drained
1 1/2 cup of chopped apples
3/4 cup chopped onion
8 whole cloves
2-4 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
Combine karut, apples, onions, cloves, sugar, pepper and broth, and place in a deep pan.
Push pork into mixture. Cover and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
Make sure liquid does not cook away.
Could be made in a crockpot.

Confirmed

Floridagirl said:
ItK, yes it is right what you read about sauerkraut juice. In Germany you can buy the sauerkraut juice in health food stores.
Sauerkraut juice contains a lot of vitamin c and lactobacillus (which are happen to be in a healthy gut). The live and active lactobacillus in the juice is good for the gut flora and provides a trouble free, healthy digestion. Aside from that the juice helps to detoxify and to purify your body bit by bit.
Sauerkraut juice is low in calorie, high in fiber and good digestible.

Wonderful! Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the juice. I don't do on regular basis. I just always thought when fixing the kraut that there were health benefits to it. Most of the vitamins I buy are from Germany. They must be really health minded. When I was young, most of the people I met when I walked were from Germany. Long before people here even considered walking. I respect them for their wise health conscious lifestyle. I do miss my neighbors who came from there. Thank you for taking time to give me incentive to buy some. It is sure gift to be able to have someone inform you so quickly by computer rather than reading in book. This is so easy.

In the Kitchen said:
. I respect them for their wise health conscious lifestyle.

not every one... :rolleyes:
I know I should do more for me and my body but when I'm home late I have no motivation do to anything except for eating and computer... :mrgreen:
could start with sauerkraut juice.... :angel:

karaburun said:
Hi,

here in Germany (where the home of Sauerkraut is..:LOL: ), we make mashed potatoes, Sauerkraut (only let it cook for ca. 15 Min. (if it is a good spiced one), and nuckle of pork or smoked pork chop..

*jamm* love it... mashed potatoes, sauerkraut and an egg, sunny side up....

cara said:
*jamm* love it... mashed potatoes, sauerkraut and an egg, sunny side up....

cara - my favorite meal in Germany was smoked ham hocks, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, and peas. Everyone else got some fancy schmancy something and mine was THE best. The potatoes had a greenish tint to them - any idea why?

I've seen a sauerkraut cake also (similar to carrot cake). Haven't tried it, but will look up the recipe when I get back in a couple of days.

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]¾ cup sauerkraut drained and chopped
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup butter
3 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup water
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Preheat oven to 350 degrees[/font]

1. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Sift all dry ingredients together. Cream sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat eggs in one at a time.[/font]
  2. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with water.[/font]
  3. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Add sauerkraut mix thoroughly.[/font]
  4. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Pour into greased pan or pans.[/font]
  5. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Bake 30 to 40 minutes until cake tests done.[/font]
  6. [font=Arial, Helvetica, Helv]Frost[/font]
Is it a couple of days already?

licia

I bet this cake is sure moist. This is new one for me and I will try it. I know no one will believe it when I tell them what it is. Thanks for sharing; always something new for me. I don't have to buy cookbooks anymore. Sure saving me money. That a good thing!

kitchenelf said:
cara - my favorite meal in Germany was smoked ham hocks, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, and peas. Everyone else got some fancy schmancy something and mine was THE best. The potatoes had a greenish tint to them - any idea why?

not a single one - maybe the sort of potatoes? or the peas?

Last night I did smoked hock, sauerkraut and potatoes and onions baked. I was worried but it turned out well. I put hock in the base of the roasting dish, sauerkraut on top, onions around it, then cut potatoes and then about 2 cups water.

Back
Top Bottom