"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Are you sure the orange coloring comes from carrots and not annatto (achiote plant)?. Annatto powder/paste is used in lots of South American and Mexican cooking. It is also used in coloring oleo and cheese.

Here is what a package of it looks like. It can be found in most stores that carry Mexican food items.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Head Chef

As for the color, Palm oil ( or Dende oil) is used frequently in Brazil, and has a dstinct orange color. So, that probably solves the color mystery.

Dend� Oil (azeite de dend�)
A heavy tropical oil extracted from the African palm growing in Northern Brazil. One of the basic ingredients in Bahian or Afro-Brazilian cuisine, it adds a wonderful flavor and bright orange color to foods. There is no equivalent substitution, but it is available in markets specializing in Brazilian imports

Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

The green ' leafy' things could have been Cilantro, since I know my friend commonly uses it in her cooking. Any word on which region of Brazil your friend was from ?? that could help narrow things down a bit.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

The anatto reference is very interesting, but from the details I found on Wikipedia, I doubt that there was any in the Brazilian sauce. It wasn't spicy as such, except maybe a hint of chili which might have actually been green peppers (aka bell peppers?).

But there there might very well be some anatto in that secret Protuguese prego sauce, which is very spicy. Or maybe Larry's Dend Oil. I must try and find these somewhere.

I'm not certain at all that there were carrots in the Brazilian paste .. but in taste it was very much like an intensely rich vegetable stock with a very healthy dose of garlic. In this paste, there was no oil. And it lasted for ages in the fridge .. it was still in perfect shape when we finished it more than 6 months later!

The intense flavour and longevity of it suggested to me that fermentation might have been part of the process, but my flatmate couldn't confirm this. I tried to duplicate it by blending as finely as possible some garlic, celery, carrots, and salt. But it was nowhere close to the original! Even when it "fermented"
Old 08-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The green ' leafy' things could have been Cilantro, since I know my friend commonly uses it in her cooking. Any word on which region of Brazil your friend was from ?? that could help narrow things down a bit.
Thanks larry .. He was from Fortaleza in Cera state.

As for the cilantro, I love the distinctive flavour, but I couldn't detect it in the paste.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

Fortaleza is a good tip, I think my friend has relatives there, Ill see what she can dig up
Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
My wife is from Brasil.

What you are talking about is called a "Tempero" which is basically a cooking base for dishes in which usually contains salt, pepper, garlic, onion. There are different varieties though.

It's widely available in any Brasillian grocery store if you live near any that is. Or you can but it online: MercadoBrazil.com : Brazilian Food Market

Or even better yet. You can use natural ingredients in which most prefer
Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Tempero Recipe

In this post i attached a PDF for a tempero recipe. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tempero.pdf (52.0 KB, 772 views)
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
Senior Cook

As for the Portuguese sauce you are talking about it sounds like you are describing "Piri Piri sauce"

Piri Piri is a red pepper native to Africa. The Portuguese use it alot in BBQ marinades.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Senior Cook

This is BBQ chicken cooked with piri piri sauce:

Tags
None