"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Share your favorite Indian cooking websites and dishes

In October I got a wonderful book on Indian cooking and ever since I've been looking to supplement what's written with video tutorials, ideas on what goes with what, as well as a place to ask questions but always got frustrated with the millions of hits I'd get during a search.

I'd love it if people could share places on the web they visit for Indian cooking as well as favorite dishes they recommend trying.

Cheers,
wm

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Sous Chef

You must try 'Biryani'. Biryani is one of the most popular dishes in India.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Cook

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Indian Cuisine Recipes, Indian Recipes, South Indian Recipes.

Amazing video tutorials. I have followed the Naan, Mughe Makhne, and Chicken Tikka recipes with much success.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Manjula's Kitchen | Indian Vegetarian Recipes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Head Chef

I second
Manjula's Kitchen | Indian Vegetarian Recipes
I havnt really seen the others ( yet) But I came across Manjula's Kitchen through another sight and I really enjoyed it. Each recipe is demonstrated in a video by Manjula. and are very easy to follow. Just need to make sure u have all the ingredients. I just made Chola (Chana Masala) yesterday. And what I also like is that it isnt some professionally made, over edited, over produced , unrealistic video of her cooking, but just manjula in her kitchen doing her thing. Ill be sure to check the other sites though.
The on thing to be ware of is Indian cooking usually requires many many spices that you probably dont have on hand ( initially). When I first started, I must have spent over $80 in spices just to make sure I had a full assortment. The good thing is that by only requiring a teastpoon here, teaspoon there, the spices last a long time. Just make sure you store them properly.

larry
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Favorite dishes.
Being a vegetarian, some of my favorites are.
Mattar Paneer ( peas with cheese )
Palak Paneer ( spinach with cheese)
Vegetable (Navratan) Korma kinda of like a mixed vegetables with a creamy sauce

I love all the breads, all the basmati rice variations.

What I usually like doing is going to the Indian restaurant during the buffet. This allows me to sample many different things. Because I havnt tried many things, when i go to the restaurant, I dont know what to order, so I get the same (safe) thing over and over. By trying new things at the buffet, I develop new favorites.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I hear you on the spices. When I decided I was going to start cooking Indian food I went online, with my cookbook by my side, and ordered every spice and herb listed, the different kinds of beans, rose water, etc and spent over 200 USD. (I'm in Japan, so if I don't order it online, I'll never find it.)

Funny story, when I got the first box I could smell something most foul but vaguely familiar. It was Hing. It's the one spice that isn't in my kitchen: I keep it outside in a little enclosed area; but I love the taste, and I use it often.

And thanks everyone for posting websites, it's giving me a lot to read and see.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The on thing to be ware of is Indian cooking usually requires many many spices that you probably dont have on hand ( initially). When I first started, I must have spent over $80 in spices just to make sure I had a full assortment. The good thing is that by only requiring a teastpoon here, teaspoon there, the spices last a long time. Just make sure you store them properly.

larry
The bulk bin is a great place to start for spices. You can buy just a teaspoon and, if you don't use it again, you're not out much.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I've been wanting to try to cook some Indian food but somehow undecided because I'm not sure if my kids will love it. Maybe I'll just try some recipes and give it a little twist to suit my kids taste:-)

Tags
None