"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
Master Chef

Talk about starch overload!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I don't see the "starch overload".

when you serve yourself a wedge, or a spoonful, of this pie...you get a relatively small amount of meat, potatoes and corn...I've never known anyone to eat an entire pie themselves....but maybe some people do....but that would be a "food overload" and of the 7 billion people on this planet, there are so many differences in food tolerance levels...dontcha think?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I had never had shepherd's pie until after Mrs Hoot and I got together. Hers is very similar to .40's recipe. The main difference is she uses snaps rather than corn and peas in her version. I might see if I can encourage her to try the corn and/or peas. Sounds mighty good!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Can we link this thread to the other one?

Shepherd's Pie in Dutch Oven
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

ATK once cooked their potatoes in the milk that was not drained but used to mash the potatoes. I have yet to try it, but it does sound reasonable. You save all the nutrients from the potatoes.

Here in New England, most folks that I have talked to use hamburg in the Shepher's Pie. I once asked someone if they ever heard of a shepherd tending his "herd of sheep." Or does a cowboy take his "flock of cattle" to market. It gave them food for thought and realized that Shepherd's Pie should be made with lamb not hamburg.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would prefer lamb...but lamb is scarce in these parts and mighty dear to boot (shoulder blade chops ain't too high when I can find 'em.) Plus, Mrs Hoot ain't very keen on eatin' the "poor baby lamb" as she puts it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I would prefer lamb...but lamb is scarce in these parts and mighty dear to boot (shoulder blade chops ain't too high when I can find 'em.) Plus, Mrs Hoot ain't very keen on eatin' the "poor baby lamb" as she puts it.
I had mutton once. Boy, that sure had some flavor but stringy. Great for stew. Every so often, we get a plethora of lamb in the stores. That is when I stock up. I cut most of it into stew pieces. The favorite dish of my family. And if they have a leg, I will buy a small one. There isn't much meat, but it is enough for a small family for a Sunday dinner of roasted lamb leg. I usually cook that first. It takes up a lot of room in the freezer. Living in an Italian and Hispanic part of town, Easter is a great time to find it. What is Easter without lamb?

My son took me to a pub in Vermont that was owned and run by two fellers from Scotland. They had standard UK fare. Including Bangers and Mashed Potatoes. I chose the Shepherd's Pie. It was delicious. But the serving was way to generous.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I bought a few pounds of stewing lamb at my local butcher shop....cost $8 per pound, and much of it was fat.
I decided to grind it up to use, so I don't have to cut all the fat off each tiny stewy piece. Worked great!

How much does everyone else here pay for lamb?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
I bought a few pounds of stewing lamb at my local butcher shop....cost $8 per pound, and much of it was fat.
I decided to grind it up to use, so I don't have to cut all the fat off each tiny stewy piece. Worked great!

How much does everyone else here pay for lamb?
I pay about $10/kg for ground lamb and about $12/kg for shoulder chops. I seldom look at the prices of the other stuff - it's scary.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe the one with ground beef should be called

Pâté chinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
pie