Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,
This Sicilian appetiser, called Antipasto, comes from my Italian Grandmom Margherite´s Recipe collection. We enjoy it with warm focaccia and / or grossini bread sticks.
Appetiser ideas, how do you Caponata ?
CAPONATA (Makes about 2 cups. )
1 1/2 pounds of eggplant ( trimmed and halved lengthwise )
2 tblsps Evoo
1/4 cup ice water
1 spring onion or medium onion diced
16 oz. of chopped finely tomatoes, de-seeded and peeled
2 celery stalks diced with leaves
2 tlbsps minced fresh Italian parsley flat leaf
2 tblsps capers Drained and Rinsed from Jar
1 tblsp red wine vinegar
1 tblsp chopped and pitted black brine cured olives
1/2 tsp salt
a pinch of sugar
Evoo - additional
1. Preheat oven to 375 farenheit
2. Line large roasting pan with foil
3. top with eggplant cut side down
4. pour in 1/4 cup water
5. bake until the eggplant is tender when pierced with skewer and add more ice water if necessary to prevent burning
6. cool to room temperature and using small knife, peel off skin and cut eggplant into 1/4 inch dice.
7. Heat Evoo in a large skillet, over medium heat
8. add onion, celery, leaves of celery, garlic and cook until all tender about 10 mins.
9. add diced eggplant, and cook 15 minutes turning occasionally
10. add tomatoes, and stir in parsely and capers, vinegar, olives, and salt and sugar
11. season with pepper freshly grounded
12. cover and cook 5 minutes on medium to high flame
13. cool completely
14. drizzle with Evoo, combine and serve with focaccia or warm Italian style Baguette.