Smoked Pork Posolé REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I just made this tonight, using the last of my smoked pork butt :chef:

Oh man, it smells good! I just hope my stove doesn't malfunction like the last time I tried to make a soup.

Here's the recipe:

Smoked Pork Posolé
Yields: ~ 2 qt

2 T vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1 T garlic, minced
1 t oregano
1 T chili powder
½ t chipotle puree
1 - 1 ½ t salt, or to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
One 8 oz can tomato sauce
1# smoked, pulled, pork, roughly chopped if needed
One 15 oz can hominy
1 qt pork stock
1 - 2 T smoked pork gelatin (reserved from when the pork was smoked), optional
Garnishes:
Fried Tortilla strips
Shredded cheese
Sour cream

In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, chili powder, chipotle puree, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions begin to wilt. Add the tomato sauce, and cook until the tomato begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add the pork, hominy, stock, and gelatin (optional), and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes.
To serve, ladle into a bowl, top with the garnishes of your choice, and enjoy!

I just thought of a couple of things while I was at work today.

A) Add 1 t cumin to the seasonings when those are added to the pot.

B) I'm seriously thinking about adding this one to my cookbook that I've started. I've sinced added a note to the recipe that if you don't have a smoker, and you have a BBQ restaurant nearby, you should be able to buy a pound or two of pulled pork, and use that.

I've never had a pazole with tomato sauce in it. That's odd - I'll have to check a few more Mexican restaurants around and see if I can find one that has the tomato sauce.

kitchenelf said:
I've never had a pazole with tomato sauce in it. That's odd - I'll have to check a few more Mexican restaurants around and see if I can find one that has the tomato sauce.

You are right, all the red comes from the fried red peppers but Im thinking for the smoked pork type of flavor Allen is going for a little tomato would help streamline the aromas. Same with pulled pork... almost all pozole I've had has been a section of leg bone or vertebras where you have a round bone surrounded in meat and you can suck out the marrow from the middle.

I won't claim that the tomato is authentic. Lugaru is right, the red color is supposed to come from the red peppers used. I don't have any dried red peppers right now, as my family probably won't eat anything with them in it. Also, I just happen to like the taste of caramelized tomato in many of my soups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom