"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #11

I got goosebumps, cause what you said was so nice Spice!

Old 05-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
choclatechef.... what a great thread!!! Thanks so much!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #13

No, thank you Spryte!

I didn't think that people on the site would be interested in soul food, but I am happily surprised at the positive interest and response.

From the bottom of my heart I must say, you guys are great!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #14
Master Chef

Chocolate Chef, I enjoyed your post very much. Made me HUNGRY!
I live down in the southern tip of Illinois (the folks up north call us hillbillies). Aside from the grits, rice and seafood, the foods you talked about not very different from the home cooking we do around here. Pork chops, fried potatoes, fried chicken, chicken & dumplings, greens or beans with ham hocks, sweet potatoes, BBQ, fried catfish...I guess you could call it hillbilly soul food.

I think Love is the main ingredient, and the ingenuity to feed your family well when you don't have two nickles to rub together. My kids always teased me that if we had a bird one day, they knew soup was coming the next, because I always boiled the carcass for one more meal.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Chocolate Chef, I enjoyed your post very much. Made me HUNGRY!
I live down in the southern tip of Illinois (the folks up north call us hillbillies). Aside from the grits, rice and seafood, the foods you talked about not very different from the home cooking we do around here. Pork chops, fried potatoes, fried chicken, chicken & dumplings, greens or beans with ham hocks, sweet potatoes, BBQ, fried catfish...I guess you could call it hillbilly soul food.

I think Love is the main ingredient, and the ingenuity to feed your family well when you don't have two nickles to rub together. My kids always teased me that if we had a bird one day, they knew soup was coming the next, because I always boiled the carcass for one more meal.
I agree, southern food and soul food are related, but they are different.

Soul food [generally speaking] is somewhat lower on the hog, and seasoned to the taste of black folks, which is different and spicier than southern food.

It is like the difference between rhythm and blues and rock music. Similiar in beginnings, yet different.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

That's a great way of explaining it. TY!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Totally awesome "essay" on the subject. Historical aspects of food really fascinate me. I especially like your section on african cooking... Im in a VERY ethiopian community and I find their food to be simply fascinating. I love eating their spicy, complex veggie dishes with the traditional injeara and when I get a meat dish it's usually VERY rare and hot which I love.

Another difference in soul vs south since you point it out: the main chunk of suthern cooking was pigs since unlike cattle you could let them run loose and just catch one every time you needed a meal, which means pork is a major player in suthern cooking. While soul cooking adopted it due to location it was definatly not a staple of the slaves diets as much as chickens and local game where.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #18

Thanks lugaru!

Very true about the pork, except these parts that whites did not eat: snout, ears, tails, chitterlings, maws, etc.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Btw are pigs feet popular in the south? It was a treat for me growing up (pickled pigs feet with jalapenos, mushrooms, carrots and other pickled veggies) or likewise we would have pickled porkrinds which are SCARY but highly addicting. Still whenever I mention this stuff to friends they get a little freaked.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #20

They are a popular Soul Food dish Lugaru! I remember we used to have pig's feet about 4 or 5 times a year.

Tags
None