Soul food, history lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VickiQ said:
WOW!!! This was a great lesson!!!!If my teachers in school would have taught history like this maybe I would have paid attention.Adding a recipe or two wouldn't have hurt either!!!!;) Love and energy,Vicki
I teach 4th grade, and I actually based a Social Studies project this year on the foods and recipes brought over by slaves (we were studying the Middle Passage slave trade). The kids made cook books using modern recipes that used the foods brought over by the slaves (they have already been mentioned here, but some were black eyed peas, greens, and sweet potatoes).

:) Barbara

P.S. You should have seen them when I taught them about the Middle Passage. I had them lie down in the hall, right next to each other, with their feet up against the wall. They had to keep their hands at their sides, and I placed a bean on each child's forehead. This kept them still, which simulated chains holding them down. I read the entire lesson while they were lying on the floor. The next day they wrote a paper about what they thought it would have been like to travel to America that way. This was the first time I have ever done this, and it worked out great. They had a little better idea of what it felt like than if I had just read the lesson while they sat at their desks.

Barbara L said:
I teach 4th grade, and I actually based a Social Studies project this year on the foods and recipes brought over by slaves (we were studying the Middle Passage slave trade). The kids made cook books using modern recipes that used the foods brought over by the slaves (they have already been mentioned here, but some were black eyed peas, greens, and sweet potatoes).

:) Barbara

Could I beg you for copies of some of your material?

I would love having it to show my kids for the cooking class.

That was very interesting.

Thank you.

We have many people living here from Surinaam, which used to be a Dutch colony.

They also have a very interesting food culture. Many also have roots in Africa. There are also Indonesians, Indians, Native Indians and the Dutch to influence the food traditions.

It is so strange how things grow. If I go to our local 'Toko", which is a tropical/foreign food store, they sell 'Kentucky" which is a breading for fried chicken!

Pam

Thank you Choc! Such interesting information.....I was totally enthrawled..........I always wondered about some things and you answered them. I agree the kids are going to be in for a treat when you teach them. I've found one african-american cookbook that I love....and if memory serves me you have the same one in your collection also. I love it when I can find cookbooks that tell background of the origin of the types of food in the cookbook. Thanks again for a wonderful read!

I can't tell you how pleased I am you guys find this interesting....

Thanks again for the support!

:) Barbara L- I bet that was a lesson that your "kids" will remember the rest of their lives!!!!and such an important one too.It sure took alot of work on your part to plan such a detailed lesson -I wish there were more teachers like you!!:rolleyes: You and Choc are the BEST!!!!

buckytom said:
what did i tell ya choc!?! we are a soul food site now...
great article, fascinating stuff.

I should listen to you more often, you are always right!:kiss:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom