"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

It's only good when you are not sick and do not have to go there at all.

On line shopping doesn't do much good either.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
There are a lot more than 3 types, actually and La Choy isn't a dark soy sauce.

Dark soy is thicker and has had sugar or molasses added to it.

La Choy is just a cheaper brand of "light" soy sauce. IMO, all you taste is salt with it.

Personally I prefer Kikkoman low sodium and Healthy Boy brand.
Ok. Why don't you elaborate on some of the other types. I mentioned the third "type" isn't really true soy at all, its a mixture or blend. There are millions of diff. soys out there, I was trying to keep it simple. La Choy is one of my least favorite soys, but to call it light is rediculous.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
Master Chef

I still say that personal preference and the way your individual taste buds react to food is the only requirement. I am just as happy eating a potted meat sandwich as I am eating a great liver pate'. One is very pricey and eaten by the "in" crowd, while the former is eaten by those who can hardly afford a free glass of water. Makes no difference to me. I like the flavor and texture of both, and so will continue to eat both.

I prefer Kikoman for the same reason I prefer Tobasco Sauce. It tastes good to me.

And CharlieD, I can relate to your plight. In Upper Peninsula Michigan, especially Eastern Upper Peninsula Michigan, it can be difficult finding so many different foods and flavorings, and when you do find the odd gem, it's going to be pricey.

I do have to ask you though, do you prefer the Helman's Mayo clinic, or the Miracle Whip clinic. Personally, I prefer the Helmans Mayo clinic of most sandwiches, but the Miracle Whip clinic for BLT's.

Oh, and one other thing, I still think my pancakes are better than yours.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #24
Head Chef

Having lived in Japan for two years and I have dined all over the country I much prefer Kikoman, and Lee kum chee mushroom and dark soy. La Choy is not even in the game
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
Alot of "authentic" soys seem to be darker, but thats only in NY and Philadelphia where I shop in Chinatowns. Im sure it varies accross the world.
While I am in no way an authority on soy sauces in any shape or form, all the soy sauces that I have seen that are just normal/straight soy sauce have been of a similar dark hue. There are variances within the colours of the light soys or the blends, etc but I guess as all of the Asian restaurants I have been to here all seem to use either Kikkoman or Yakuta (and that has only been in Japanese restaurants), it may be a bit more standardised here in Perth. Possibly due to our proximity to Asia or possibly to a lack of choice. Do not know....
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Theres even white soy sauce.

It appears to me that the lighter the soy, the better. Dark soy I still use for various sauces and fried rice.

I use Kikoman or an Asian Foods Ginger Soy.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
Master Chef

I have just recently, couple of weeks, discovered Lee Kum Chee soy sauce and it is great, and I love it.

As far as the pancakes goes mine are obviously better.

But the reason we should not argue about that is because how can you compare a typical American white bread to a loaf of heavy Ukrainian Black bread. They are worlds (no pan intended) a part.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I can only get the Yakuta light and I love it very nice flavor
Oops, its not Yakuta its called Yamasa made since 1645
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
Ok. Why don't you elaborate on some of the other types. I mentioned the third "type" isn't really true soy at all, its a mixture or blend. There are millions of diff. soys out there, I was trying to keep it simple. La Choy is one of my least favorite soys, but to call it light is rediculous.

La Choy is of the type that you referred to as "light." It is not in the class of soy sauces that are dark, thick and have added sugar.

A good asian market will carry a wide a variety of types and brands, especially if the store carries Japanese soy sauces, as there are a great many types of them.

These are two I use very often. Along with Kikkoman low sodium. They have great taste.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
La Choy is of the type that you referred to as "light." It is not in the class of soy sauces that are dark, thick and have added sugar.

A good asian market will carry a wide a variety of types and brands, especially if the store carries Japanese soy sauces, as there are a great many types of them.

These are two I use very often. Along with Kikkoman low sodium. They have great taste.

Looks like a light one and a dark one. i bet they are good.

Tags
None