Soy sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First let me tell you that I am Chinese. I grew up eating homemade Chinese food a lot. All my grandparents were from China and lived locally, and both sets opened and ran Chinese restaurants for many years.

Now you may think that the best place to get great soy sauce is the Asian markets. WRONG!!!. I buy my soy sauce at the local natural food co-op, even though there is a large Asian community here and there many very good Asian markets.

Let me preface my next statement by saying that I respect everyone's right to like what they want. I know what I like, you know what you like. That said, to use a cheesy analogy, La Choy is like American Cheese, Kikkoman is like a standard block of Cheddar at the local market and the good stuff like I get would be comparable to Eppoisses, Societe' Bee or Fiscallini (sp?) (you cheese aficionados KNOW what I mean).

The brand I am using right now is San-J Organic Shoyu. Although not full top shelf, it still light years ahead of Kikkoman. The really good ones are very expensive and are best appreciated as a dipping sauce base.

I should have mentioned this above. If you want to try a really good brand try Ohsawa. It is named after Georges Ohsawa, the father of macrobiotics. They have several varieties, of which I have only tried one, the "Lima", named after Georges' wife. They don't carry it at the co-op (Lima) so I don't know if it still in production.

We got some when we were treating my mothers cancer with a macrobiotic diet and when we first bought it I couldn't believe it could possibly be worth the $6 for a tiny bottle comparable to the size they have on tables at Chinese restaurants. Trying it was a revelation. The delicacy and complexity was amazing.

I would probably use it more, but it cost about $20 a pint.

soy sauce

Interesting thread eventhough I don't even pay any attention to soy sauce and go lightly when I do - too much salt. Goodweed and Charlie, I shall bring an end to your pancake debate as supreme judge!:ermm: Mind you I can make a good Ukrainian blintz with a very nice Ukrainian recipe cherry filling - a stack of which I saw quickly disappear one after the other into the mouth of a Ukrainian teenager. :huh:

I shall faithfully make both recipes and let you know.:chef: May the best pancake win.:LOL:

Mmm soy sauce. It's really too bad it has such high sodium or I'd cook with it more often. I make a lovely spicy broccoli chicken dish that uses Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Sauce - it's thick and comes in a jar. It's not really saucy in the recipe, but more of a coating. Delicious with cashews. My husband will add kikkoman to his liking.

Mmm soy sauce. It's really too bad it has such high sodium or I'd cook with it more often. I make a lovely spicy broccoli chicken dish that uses Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Sauce - it's thick and comes in a jar. It's not really saucy in the recipe, but more of a coating. Delicious with cashews. My husband will add kikkoman to his liking.
;)I love that brand ofg black bean sauce its really good

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom