"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
Looks like a light one and a dark one. i bet they are good.
Yep a light and a dark. The dark is thick and sweet.

Since it's pretty cheap, I went on a soy sauce taste testing adventure a few years back and bought about 10 kinds at the Super 88. Liked this brand the best. I like taste without a lot of salt. And I guess my taste runs to Thai soy sauce, though I do like Kikkoman which is Japanese.

I did the same for fish sauce a few months back. I couldn't tell that much of a difference, especially tasting them straight up.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #32
Master Chef

None of the "dark" or "black" soy sauces I've purchased from Asian markets were ever "thick" or "sweet", & none have had any sugar or molasses as an ingredient.

Authentic dark or black soy is simply brewed for a longer period of time than light soy - just like coffee. It shouldn't be "sweet" or have any additives. Any soys that are thick & sweet are different than plain dark or black soy.

If any of the recipes I've made that specify dark or black soy were made with something thick/sweet, they'd be downright awful.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
None of the "dark" or "black" soy sauces I've purchased from Asian markets were ever "thick" or "sweet", & none have had any sugar or molasses as an ingredient.

Authentic dark or black soy is simply brewed for a longer period of time than light soy - just like coffee. It shouldn't be "sweet" or have any additives. Any soys that are thick & sweet are different than plain dark or black soy.

If any of the recipes I've made that specify dark or black soy were made with something thick/sweet, they'd be downright awful.

I beg to differ on several acounts. Chinese "black," or "dark" soy sauces, as well as their Thai cousins are def. thicker and somwhat sweeter. They are not sweet sauces, per se, but have a note of sweetness their light counterparts don't have. Some, but not all have molasses added. They are indeed "authentic,' IMO.

I am not sure what recipes you are using which call for black/dark soy sauce, but I have never used a recipe where the sweeter, thicker stuff was not the right ingredient to be using.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Kecup Manis is usually Indonesian soy sauce which is thicker and sweeter and the standard Chinese/Japanese soys. Using the different soys in a dish would make a difference but in no way should it make it bad whichever one you used. Just a bit different. It's like using different ketchups on a sausage - one might be sweeter and thicker than another sauce but still tastes good on the snag!!

This is from another forum...
Kecup Manis - EatingWA Forums (only p1 is really relevant to this discussion)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I like the Kikko, we have alot of Asian Markets here, so when we go down to the city to see Grandparents (about 40 min) I try to stock up on my sauces. We used to live within a block of 6 of them when we lived down there. You give up things in the name of wide open spaces!
Mayo, Hellman's not Kraft.
DH likes Miracle Whip, I'm not a fan.
I cannot comment on anyone's pancakes. :)
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

I've used La Choy and Kikkoman and prefer Kikkoman. I think I will experiment with other kinds just to see what I like.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #37
Master Chef

Who was asking me about mayo? I buy Kraft and again mostly because it has better kosher supervision.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I have three bottles of soy in my pantry. La Choy, Kikkoman, and Golden Mountain Brand Soy. PeppA, my other half, uses the La Choy for flavor and coloring whenever she does Pepper Steak (bleck! Use beef stock instead!). I keep the Kikkoman around for the rare times I do Lo Mein or Fried Rice on weekends. I also bought the Golden Mountain, as we used that up in MI for a salad dressing. I've found that cooking with it is a real experience, as it's saltier than Kikkoman. The next time I get up to the Asian grocery store I go to (25 miles away now), I may have to see if they carry Lee Kum Kee Soy. I do know they carry many other sauces made by LKK, and I do like those.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Who was asking me about mayo? I buy Kraft and again mostly because it has better kosher supervision.
I was teasing you about weather you liked the Mayo-Clinic spread, or the Miracle-Whip-Clinic spread, in reference to your state having the Mayo Clinic. Yeh, I knew it was a bad pun. But I like bad puns.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #40
Master Chef

I like bad puns, too, GWN!! In fact I'm famous for them....--my hubby likes to tease that I'm half right...the best soy sauces I've bought have been from our local Asian groceries--they cost a lot less and taste a whole lot better than Kikkoman.........

Tags
None