Soy sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's only good when you are not sick and do not have to go there at all.

On line shopping doesn't do much good either.

There are a lot more than 3 types, actually and La Choy isn't a dark soy sauce.

Dark soy is thicker and has had sugar or molasses added to it.

La Choy is just a cheaper brand of "light" soy sauce. IMO, all you taste is salt with it.

Personally I prefer Kikkoman low sodium and Healthy Boy brand.

Ok. Why don't you elaborate on some of the other types. I mentioned the third "type" isn't really true soy at all, its a mixture or blend. There are millions of diff. soys out there, I was trying to keep it simple. La Choy is one of my least favorite soys, but to call it light is rediculous.

I still say that personal preference and the way your individual taste buds react to food is the only requirement. I am just as happy eating a potted meat sandwich as I am eating a great liver pate'. One is very pricey and eaten by the "in" crowd, while the former is eaten by those who can hardly afford a free glass of water. Makes no difference to me. I like the flavor and texture of both, and so will continue to eat both.

I prefer Kikoman for the same reason I prefer Tobasco Sauce. It tastes good to me.

And CharlieD, I can relate to your plight. In Upper Peninsula Michigan, especially Eastern Upper Peninsula Michigan, it can be difficult finding so many different foods and flavorings, and when you do find the odd gem, it's going to be pricey.

I do have to ask you though, do you prefer the Helman's Mayo clinic, or the Miracle Whip clinic. Personally, I prefer the Helmans Mayo clinic of most sandwiches, but the Miracle Whip clinic for BLT's.:ROFLMAO:

Oh, and one other thing, I still think my pancakes are better than yours.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Having lived in Japan for two years and I have dined all over the country I much prefer Kikoman, and Lee kum chee mushroom and dark soy. La Choy is not even in the game

Alot of "authentic" soys seem to be darker, but thats only in NY and Philadelphia where I shop in Chinatowns. Im sure it varies accross the world.
While I am in no way an authority on soy sauces in any shape or form, all the soy sauces that I have seen that are just normal/straight soy sauce have been of a similar dark hue. There are variances within the colours of the light soys or the blends, etc but I guess as all of the Asian restaurants I have been to here all seem to use either Kikkoman or Yakuta (and that has only been in Japanese restaurants), it may be a bit more standardised here in Perth. Possibly due to our proximity to Asia or possibly to a lack of choice. Do not know....

Theres even white soy sauce.

It appears to me that the lighter the soy, the better. Dark soy I still use for various sauces and fried rice.

I use Kikoman or an Asian Foods Ginger Soy.

I have just recently, couple of weeks, discovered Lee Kum Chee soy sauce and it is great, and I love it.

As far as the pancakes goes mine are obviously better. ;)

But the reason we should not argue about that is because how can you compare a typical American white bread to a loaf of heavy Ukrainian Black bread. They are worlds (no pan intended) a part.

Ok. Why don't you elaborate on some of the other types. I mentioned the third "type" isn't really true soy at all, its a mixture or blend. There are millions of diff. soys out there, I was trying to keep it simple. La Choy is one of my least favorite soys, but to call it light is rediculous.

La Choy is of the type that you referred to as "light." It is not in the class of soy sauces that are dark, thick and have added sugar.

A good asian market will carry a wide a variety of types and brands, especially if the store carries Japanese soy sauces, as there are a great many types of them.

These are two I use very often. Along with Kikkoman low sodium. They have great taste.

sayw2505.jpg

sayw2301.jpg

Last edited:
La Choy is of the type that you referred to as "light." It is not in the class of soy sauces that are dark, thick and have added sugar.

A good asian market will carry a wide a variety of types and brands, especially if the store carries Japanese soy sauces, as there are a great many types of them.

These are two I use very often. Along with Kikkoman low sodium. They have great taste.

sayw2505.jpg

sayw2301.jpg

Looks like a light one and a dark one. i bet they are good.

Looks like a light one and a dark one. i bet they are good.

Yep a light and a dark. The dark is thick and sweet.

Since it's pretty cheap, I went on a soy sauce taste testing adventure a few years back and bought about 10 kinds at the Super 88. Liked this brand the best. I like taste without a lot of salt. And I guess my taste runs to Thai soy sauce, though I do like Kikkoman which is Japanese.

I did the same for fish sauce a few months back. I couldn't tell that much of a difference, especially tasting them straight up.

None of the "dark" or "black" soy sauces I've purchased from Asian markets were ever "thick" or "sweet", & none have had any sugar or molasses as an ingredient.

Authentic dark or black soy is simply brewed for a longer period of time than light soy - just like coffee. It shouldn't be "sweet" or have any additives. Any soys that are thick & sweet are different than plain dark or black soy.

If any of the recipes I've made that specify dark or black soy were made with something thick/sweet, they'd be downright awful.

None of the "dark" or "black" soy sauces I've purchased from Asian markets were ever "thick" or "sweet", & none have had any sugar or molasses as an ingredient.

Authentic dark or black soy is simply brewed for a longer period of time than light soy - just like coffee. It shouldn't be "sweet" or have any additives. Any soys that are thick & sweet are different than plain dark or black soy.

If any of the recipes I've made that specify dark or black soy were made with something thick/sweet, they'd be downright awful.

I beg to differ on several acounts. Chinese "black," or "dark" soy sauces, as well as their Thai cousins are def. thicker and somwhat sweeter. They are not sweet sauces, per se, but have a note of sweetness their light counterparts don't have. Some, but not all have molasses added. They are indeed "authentic,' IMO.

I am not sure what recipes you are using which call for black/dark soy sauce, but I have never used a recipe where the sweeter, thicker stuff was not the right ingredient to be using.

Kecup Manis is usually Indonesian soy sauce which is thicker and sweeter and the standard Chinese/Japanese soys. Using the different soys in a dish would make a difference but in no way should it make it bad whichever one you used. Just a bit different. It's like using different ketchups on a sausage - one might be sweeter and thicker than another sauce but still tastes good on the snag!!

This is from another forum...
Kecup Manis - EatingWA Forums (only p1 is really relevant to this discussion)

I like the Kikko, we have alot of Asian Markets here, so when we go down to the city to see Grandparents (about 40 min) I try to stock up on my sauces. We used to live within a block of 6 of them when we lived down there. You give up things in the name of wide open spaces!
Mayo, Hellman's not Kraft.
DH likes Miracle Whip, I'm not a fan.
I cannot comment on anyone's pancakes. :)

I've used La Choy and Kikkoman and prefer Kikkoman. I think I will experiment with other kinds just to see what I like.

Who was asking me about mayo? I buy Kraft and again mostly because it has better kosher supervision.

I have three bottles of soy in my pantry. La Choy, Kikkoman, and Golden Mountain Brand Soy. PeppA, my other half, uses the La Choy for flavor and coloring whenever she does Pepper Steak (bleck! Use beef stock instead!). I keep the Kikkoman around for the rare times I do Lo Mein or Fried Rice on weekends. I also bought the Golden Mountain, as we used that up in MI for a salad dressing. I've found that cooking with it is a real experience, as it's saltier than Kikkoman. The next time I get up to the Asian grocery store I go to (25 miles away now), I may have to see if they carry Lee Kum Kee Soy. I do know they carry many other sauces made by LKK, and I do like those.

Who was asking me about mayo? I buy Kraft and again mostly because it has better kosher supervision.

I was teasing you about weather you liked the Mayo-Clinic spread, or the Miracle-Whip-Clinic spread, in reference to your state having the Mayo Clinic. Yeh, I knew it was a bad pun. But I like bad puns.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like bad puns, too, GWN!! In fact I'm famous for them....--my hubby likes to tease that I'm half right...the best soy sauces I've bought have been from our local Asian groceries--they cost a lot less and taste a whole lot better than Kikkoman.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom