"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Master Chef

Soy sauce

I made Chinese last night. Usually I use La Choy brand for the soy sauce when I make fried rice and stir fry beef. Yesterday I used Kikkoman brand. Wow, what a difference. I will never ever buy that brand anymore. I couldn't eat anything.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Everymom

Takes some getting used to if you have been using another brand. I don't know La Choy brand, but I bet it isn't a fermented soy sauce. Kikkoman is fermented and the taste is different. I used to feel as you do Charlie, but I kept trying it and now I actually prefer Kikkoman. LOL. We still have China Lily for Madeleine, but the rest of us use Kikkoman more often than not.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Master Chef

And that's why there are so many different brands. La Choy, if I remember correclty, is made from hydrolized vegetable protien, while Kikoman is made by brewing soy beans. Kikoman makes a true soy sauce.

As you said, the flavors are profoundly different. You prefer the La Choy, while I love the Kidoman. And that's perfect. All of us react to different flavors in different ways. I am happy that you have found a soy sauce that you really like. And I'm glad I've found a readily available soy sauce that I really like. It keeps both companies going.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Actually I also tasted Lee Kum Kee brand and it is awesome. Made in Hong Kong stuff.

And as far as getting used to it, I probably will not. I'd rather buy the stuff that I like rather than adopt to something I hated.

And La Choy Products - Sauces is a really nice brand. Has a lot of diferent sauces, if you can find it try it.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
And that's why there are so many different brands. La Choy, if I remember correclty, is made from hydrolized vegetable protien, while Kikoman is made by brewing soy beans. Kikoman makes a true soy sauce.

As you said, the flavors are profoundly different. You prefer the La Choy, while I love the Kidoman. And that's perfect. All of us react to different flavors in different ways. I am happy that you have found a soy sauce that you really like. And I'm glad I've found a readily available soy sauce that I really like. It keeps both companies going.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you for info.

I'll stick to fake stuf then.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Everymom

Like Goodweed says, different tastes appeal to different people. I'm just one of those folks who hates to waste stuff. (and I think you are too Charlie) So I know if I bought a bottle of something I didn't like the taste of it would really gripe me to throw it out. Just wanted to let you know that I've been in your shoes, and grew to like that flavour after a while.

Its so shocking to taste a different flavour when you are expecting something you are accustomed to.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I have three different soy sauces and they are all... Kikkoman! Yakuta is a nice one in my opinion too. Lee Kum Kee does a nice sweet and sour. Haven't tried their soy sauce.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook

We use tamari, or sometimes, fish sauce. I love both, but I'm salt restricted, so have to be careful.

Check out "soy sauce" on Wikipedia. Wow! I never knew there were so many kinds. Hawaiian??
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Try Hinze dark soy.

But, buy it in an Asian Store the kind with the label in Chinese.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Sous Chef

There is a profound difference between soys.

There are 3 major groups

Light Soy (ex. Kikoman) Which is brewed and tastes light with a bite

Dark Soy (ex. La Choy) Which is dark and hydrolyzed as someone mentioned. Hearty and a different type of sweet.

Mixed Soy (ex. Asian) Which is a mixture, sometimes incorporating other flavors such as Sweet Ginger Soy or Teriyaki Soy.

I find the light soy is good on protein dishes such as chicken, and in sauces. Dark Soy I personally prefer on rices and in some hearty sauces.
Mixed soy is great for certain dishes as well, I highly reccommend Ginger Soy.
Alot of "authentic" soys seem to be darker, but thats only in NY and Philadelphia where I shop in Chinatowns. Im sure it varies accross the world.

Tags
None