"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Someone have recipe or is it in here someplace? Never made it. If it means using dough and rolling out forever just foget it. I have hard time getting incentive to do that.
That's the beauty of phyllo, Kitch! you don't have to roll it. and these days, it also comes prebuttered and ready to go! I haven't used that yet, but have heard great things about its ease and time-saving delights.

Here's my recipe for Spanakopita. It came from my long ago friend Estelle's Grandmother, who came from greece, and it is soooooooo good!

SPANAKOPITA

8 to 12 servings

2 - 3 pounds fresh spinach
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
1 bunch scallions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound onions
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound feta cheese
8 - 10 phyllo sheets

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Clean spinach well, and remove stems. DRY THOROUGHLY! Cut fine. Mince parsley, dill and scallions and add to the spinach. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Wrap in a tea towel and squeeze out water.

3. Chop onions and cook in oil until translucent. Add to the vegetable mixture. Add crumbled cheese and season with salt and pepper.

4. Prepare phyllo, and cover sheets with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out and becoming brittle.

5. Oil a 13 x 11-inch shallow baking dish very well, and layer 4-5 sheets of phyllo on the bottom, brushing each with oil to prevent sticking together.

6. Spread filling evenly over the bottom layers of phyllo leaves. Cover with the remaining sheets of phyllo, one at a time, brushing each with oil.

7. Brush the top with oil and with the point of a sharp knife, trace the phyllo sheets unto oblong pieces.

8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into diamond shaped wedges.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
You guys are WONDERFUL!!! I feared Spanokopita, and you're making feel like I can do this in my sleep. My knives are sharp so I'm not going to even attempt that one. LoL

Old 12-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

ChefJune

Sounds easy and good! My family will be sure to know you took the time to send this to me. I appreciate your time. I always tell my family the people on here who shared their recipe w/me. That way I am giving them credit in my own mind. Making family happy is only goal in my life. Thanks so much.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Michael in FtW

Thanks for the many recipe links. I am sure I have looked at them but this one being so recent I decided to make it. I never have fixed them before so I am sure will be challenge for me. Hope they turn out as well as they sound.

since we recently had scare on spinach, you think would be alright to get fresh spinach or would you use the frozen?

Thanks so much.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
Executive Chef

ITK, apart from scare, it's always good to use fresh spinach to make Spanokopita. Just make sure you squeeze it dry before adding to your mix.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #16
Master Chef

Fresh or Frozen?

To be honest, I think you're going to find as many opinions on whether to use fresh or frozen spinach as there are recipes - & there are no wrong answers. Whatever you prefer will work.

In my case, both my grandmother, parents, & I have all used frozen thawed chopped spinach, thoroughly drained & squeezed dry, with exceptional success. Since it's already been blanched, it doesn't require additional cooking (except what it will get while being baked inside the phyllo pastry), so there's no need to separately cook it first. You also don't have to try to figure out how much the fresh will ultimately reduce to after cooking, or have to bother to washing it, chopping it, de-stemming it, etc., etc.

I find using frozen chopped spinach not only produces a high-quality product, but also cuts the time for making it nearly in half. If it was good enough for my grandma (who was an EXTREMELY picky cook), it's good enough for me!!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

There isn't any doubt that frozen spinach can be used and you can still make a delicious spanakopita, however, you cannot get the same texture as fresh using frozen spinach and/or freezing a spanakopita before baking. If that fresh texture isn't part of what you consider wonderful about spanakopita, for heaven's sake never mind. The frozen is easier, by far.

I want to again suggest that y'all consider using crusts other than phyllo, especially if you're going to be freezing or re-heating. In my experience (and I've tasted a huge variety of spankopita since I've lived here) phyllo is desirable only when fresh and hot and deteriorates greatly otherwise. Please note that it is not the only spankopita crust used in Greece, nor is it even the most popular. Other crusts more similar to an American pie crust (called "kourou" here) are equally popular and they hold up better to re-heating.

Either way, don't skimp on plenty of soft feta!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Just for information, I was using frozen spinach during my restaurant days. With fresh spinach easily available here I am using it exclusively now. To my taste, fresh spinach gives better results especially with respect to texture, ie. spinach leaves are easily visible in the baked pie while frozen spinach gives somewhat the appearance of an amorphous green mass.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I make spanakopita often. While frozen spinach is easy, I must agree that fresh spinach (I like baby spinach) is the best in taste and texture. And it's not hard to wilt some spinach.
I also like to make variations on traditional spanakopita. For instance, I'll add sauteed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and roasted garlic to the mix. This I make ahead of time, bring it to room temp and serve it in Athens Mini Fillo Cups... a very pretty (and tasty) appetizer! The cups are already baked, so just thaw and use (great for all kinds of appetizers and desserts).
Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Back to freezing. :-) Can I make the mixture up to the point where I'm going to put it on the pie dough or phyllo, and freeze it at that point??? I'm thinking ahead to picnic time this summer. :-) We have a reunion coming up, and spanokopita would be a great thing to take. :-)

Tags
None