"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Spanakopita question

Can you prepare spanokopita (completely) the day before, and throw it in the oven the next day?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My MIL makes it up to the baking point and then freezes it until she needs it.

Wrap it well or the dough on top dries out really quickly!!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
My MIL makes it up to the baking point and then freezes it until she needs it.

Wrap it well or the dough on top dries out really quickly!!
Plastic wrap and then aluminum foil?
That means I can make a BIG batch and section it off and just cook up a little at a time. :-) THANKS!!!

How long can I keep in freezer?

Thaw in fridge?

OO OO OO :-)
Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
She keeps it for a month or so...

And thaws it on the counter.

Good luck and send me a piece!! lol!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Gossie, the issue of preparing Spanokopita and storing it in some way before baking boils down to risking the fillo pastry getting soggy by absorbing liquid from the spinach mix. In particular, preparing Spanokopita, keeping in the fridge, and baking the next day will most probably not turn out well as the fillo will get very soggy by the time you bake it.

If you store it in the freezer before baking, it may come out alright provided that a) the Spanokopita freezes before the fillo gets the chance to absorb it and b) provided that nothing untoward happens during freezing, there is also no mishap (soggy fillo) during the thawing process. Alternatively, you may want to skip the thawing process altogether and put the frozen Spanokopita directly into the oven.

A bit of experimentation should give you a better idea as to how to go about it once you know what the main risk involved is.

For me, I prefer to bake such pies immediately after putting them together.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

What is This?

Someone have recipe or is it in here someplace? Never made it. If it means using dough and rolling out forever just foget it. I have hard time getting incentive to do that.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

My mothers friend has to do several thousand for the Greek festival every year and she freezes them. I have frozen the ones I make right before baking and sometimes after baking when there were too many. They reheat just fine if you put them on a cookie sheet or something flat on 350 degrees.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

You can prepare Spanokopita the night before and then wrap it very tight and put it in the refrigerator and prepare it the next day.

I know friends that prepare a lot of it and immediately put in the freezer.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

Spanokopita

Even though I'm 100% Czech, Spanokopita was one of my grandmother's specialties that she made for every holiday. She made hers in long strudel form, & the few times I've made them that way (2 at a time), I've baked both, consumed one, & frozen the other - after baking.

I take the cooled baked spanokopita & wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then another layer of aluminum foil, & then into a Ziploc freezer bag. When I want to use it, I take it out & allow it to thaw, unwrap it, then just place it on a baking sheet in a 350-400 degree oven until warmed through & crisp. Works just fine.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie
Can you prepare spanakopita (completely) the day before, and throw it in the oven the next day?
Yes, Cindy, you can. I don't know what recipe you are using, but two things to consider:

1) Unless you want it to get soggy - make sure the spinach mixture is as dry as you can get it ... wring out all of the moisture you can from the spinach (I just use thawed chopped frozen) - I drain it, squeeze all the moisture out that I can with my hands, then spread it out a little on a clean dish cloth and wring it out again (the towel acts as a blotter). And, if your recipe calls for cottage cheese - make sure it is as dry as you can get it before mixing in with the other ingredients (I strain it and then blot with paper towels).

2) I generally bake and cool mine (others have discussed how to deal with this) but if you want to refrigerate until the next day you need to wrap it well in a couple of layers of Saran Wrap - if you are using another brand of plastic wrap you might want to give it an additional layer of aluminum foil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Someone have recipe or is it in here someplace? Never made it. If it means using dough and rolling out forever just foget it. I have hard time getting incentive to do that.
ITK - you use filo/phyllo (it's spelled both ways) "leaves" (very thin sheets) you can find in most grocery stores in the frozen foods sections usually around the frozen pastry stuff - usually comes in about a 16-oz box. I don't know anyone who has the time, patience, or skill to make fresh homemade phyllo by hand. Just read and follow the directions on the box for how to thaw and handle it.

Yes - we've discussed spanakopita before .... here, here, and here - and here are even more spanakopita recipes you can pick from.

Gossie - I ran across something that might help answer your original spanakopita with rice question - and have included links to recipes there. I'm guessing it was really Spanakorizo (spinach rice - not spinach pie).

Tags
None