Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Throughout the Iberian Peninsula´s enormous Tavern Bar culture, each family, restaurateur, each chef, each bar prepares a Tortilla Española. This egg dish, appearing similar in round form to a Tortilla from Italy or Mexico has nothing to do with a Mexican - Aztec origined corn tortilla.

Here is my home take on Spanish Omelette:

Large enough to slice into 6 to 8 slices.

Use a Pan 9 inches or 23 centimetres Non Stick skillet best
5 tblps extra virgin olive oil
3 large potatoes peeled and sliced
1 medium onion
6 eggs lightly beaten
salt and black pepper to taste

1) heat 2.5 tblsps ( half in recipe above ) and fry the sliced potatoes until tender and very lightly colored

2) drain oil from potatoes and put aside

3) with a slotted spoon, place potatoes with the beat eggs and onion and add salt and pepper

4) re heat the sauté pan with remaining olive oil ( 2.5 tblsps ) and when hot, pour the egg mixture in the pan

5) reduce the heat to low medium flame and cook until firm

6) use a spatula 1 1/2 inch ( 4 cm ) wide to shape the edge of the Tortilla as it cooks so that it is of even thickness across

7) take a plate the same size as the tortilla, fitting inside rim of pan

8) place the place directly on the tortilla and invert the pan so that the omelette is transferred to the plate and then, return the pan to heat.

9) slide the tortilla back into the pan and cook the other side of the tortilla

10) cook gently on low medium flame

11) transfer to a large serving plate and slice into wedges after 10 to 12 minutes.

SERVE: with crusty bread, and a glass of red wine or sparkling water with citrus, which reduces fat gram accumulation.

*** This is one of many recipes called TAPAS, appetisers, small plates, minature plates, antipasti in Italian or Meze or Mezedes in Italian and Greek and Arabic; on the Iberian Peninsula.

Easier to clean though not a must do

Good question Brook. I do because it is easier to clean, though it is not a traditional here in Spain, for making Tortilla Españolas. Definitely a personal choice on my part ---

My name is pronounced MAR GO ( it is French as my maternal grandmom as well as my Italian paternal grandmom were: Margot and Margherite ) thus, my mom, decided to call me MAR GAUX, as in CHATEAUX and in French AUX or EAUX is an " ó " sound. However, MAR GI ( MAR GEE as in is a nick name ... as I have had to spell my name all my life ! ha ha ...

Thanks for compliments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom