Spanish Sofrito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shinoni

Assistant Cook
Spending time with family in Puerto Rico I learn a great deal about family,food, and life. Love in spanish cultured is often conveyed in food.This is simple , yet amazing ingredient makes aromatic aroma around the home and kitchen making you hungry, The funny thing is this is just the ingredient for many of a Spanish cuisines such as pernil(roast pork), Habichuelas Guisadas(bean stew in a tomato base),Arroz Con Gandules( rice and beans) to name a few. Please comment if you like it. Please read the recipe before you try. You will need the following

1 large yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper or 1sm jar roasted red peppers
1 medium head of garlic (2 tbsp. crushed garlic)
1 bunch of cilantro
¼ cup Spanish olives, pitted
2 tsps salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp crushed orégano
½ cup olive oil
1. Make sure you wash your ingredients.
2. Peel your garlic and onion.
3. Chop your ingredients coarsely do not cut too small.
4. Place all your ingredients into a blender and puree.
5. Pour into Tupperware or freezer bag for long term storage.

Important tips and Facts You can freeze the sofrito for a long duration of time. I personally never go over 6 month mark because freezer burn and freshness becomes an issue which affects the dish you will be preparing. This recipe is a basic recipe for sofrito, the ingredients can be found usually world wide.Later I can give you a more regional recipe you have access to a spainish store or in the region.If you like the recipe please comment

Last edited by a moderator:
Sofrito verses Sofreit

Buenas Tardes,

Firstly, thank you for posting the Latin American, Caribbean and Puerto Rican way of making Sofrito.

Please do note however, that it is made quite differently in Spain and of course has its regional differences as well. It is called Sofreit in Catalonia where it is most popular. Cilantro herb is not commonly used in Spain in Sofrito. Parsley Herb is the more common historically as it is a Mediterranean Herb.

Have a nice Memorial Wkend.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
Buenas Tardes Shinoni,

Here is the basic Sofreit of the Iberian Peninsula and it is used predominately to kick off a Stew:

28 ounces of crushed ripe juicy tomatoes or canned
1 yellow onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
1 teaspoon Smoked La Vera Pimentón Paprika ( cayenne ) sweet ( dulce )
1 green bell pepper chopped finely
a handful of chopped finely fresh Italian flat parsley
Evoo: extra virgin olive oil

So, as you can see it is for the base of meat or chicken stews, or fishermen stews.

Best regards.
Ciao, Margaux.

Last edited:
Buenas Tardes Shinoni,

Here is the basic Sofreit of the Iberian Peninsula and it is used predominately to kick off a Stew:

28 ounces of crushed ripe juicy tomatoes or canned
1 yellow onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
1 teaspoon Smoked La Vera Pimentón Paprika ( cayenne ) sweet ( dulce )
1 green bell pepper chopped finely
a handful of chopped finely fresh Italian flat parsley
Evoo: extra virgin olive oil

So, as you can see it is for the base of meat or chicken stews, or fishermen stews.

Best regards.
Ciao, Margaux.
That would be great to make when the produce is available and freeze it to use in winter.

Both recipes sound delicious. Fareway had bags of multicolored baby bell peppers on sale this week, so I stocked up. These would be a nice use for them!

BTW, welcome to DC, Shinoni!

Last edited:
Spending time with family in Puerto Rico I learn a great deal about family,food, and life. Love in spanish cultured is often conveyed in food.This is simple , yet amazing ingredient makes aromatic aroma around the home and kitchen making you hungry, The funny thing is this is just the ingredient for many of a Spanish cuisines such as pernil(roast pork), Habichuelas Guisadas(bean stew in a tomato base),Arroz Con Gandules( rice and beans) to name a few. Please comment if you like it. Please read the recipe before you try. You will need the following

1 large yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper or 1sm jar roasted red peppers
1 medium head of garlic (2 tbsp. crushed garlic)
1 bunch of cilantro
¼ cup Spanish olives, pitted
2 tsps salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp crushed orégano
½ cup olive oil
1. Make sure you wash your ingredients.
2. Peel your garlic and onion.
3. Chop your ingredients coarsely do not cut too small.
4. Place all your ingredients into a blender and puree.
5. Pour into Tupperware or freezer bag for long term storage.

Important tips and Facts You can freeze the sofrito for a long duration of time. I personally never go over 6 month mark because freezer burn and freshness becomes an issue which affects the dish you will be preparing. This recipe is a basic recipe for sofrito, the ingredients can be found usually world wide.Later I can give you a more regional recipe you have access to a spanish store or in the region.If you like the recipe please comment

Yum, I can eat Sofrito with a spoon...thanks for the recipe.

Like many other recipes, there are as many for sofrito as there are abuelas.;)

Craig,

True.

There is also Catalonia´s Romesco which is an almond, red pepper and tomato sofrito that is lovely too.

I believe I once posted Ferrán Adriá´s recipe for it.

Hope you had a lovely Memorial Wkend.

Ciao.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom