Spanish Tapas Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flourgirl

Senior Cook
I taught a Spanish tapas cooking class last week and this recipe was everyone's favorite!

I love mini meals and Spanish flavors are so intriguing, if anyone has their own Spanish tapas recipes, please post!!

Just a tidbit of information. It is said that the name for these little dishes is derived from the Spanish word, "tapar" which means "to cover". In the early days of the tapas bar, a tapa was a slice of cured ham or pork that was used to cover one's glass in order to keep the flies out.

Mini meatballs in saffron sauce over fideos

8 oz. ground pork
8 oz. ground veal
4 Tb. chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup white bread, soaked in water and squeezed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
flour to dust

1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 C. minced onion
1/2 tsp. Spanish paprika
1 C. chicken stock
1/4 C. dry white wine
1/4 tsp. saffron threads
1/4 C. heavy cream

Mix pork, veal, 1 Tb. parsley, half garlic, egg, salt and pepper in bowl to blend. Shape meat into 1 inch balls. Dust with flour.

Heat oil in skillet over med. high heat. Add meatballs and saute until brown. Remove and set aside. Add onion to pan and cook until tender. Stir in paprika, then 1 cup broth and wine. Simmer and return meatballs to the pan. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes. Uncover, add 2 Tb. parsely, remaining garlic, and saffron. Simmer about 10 minutes, add cream and season to taste.

Serve over cooked fideos.

This post made me think of Sevilla (my favorite place in Spain) and lots of sangria! A Tapas party would be fun in the summer! :)

The recipe sounds like albondigas.

Read fideos as a thin pasta, like vermicelli. Often cooked with other stuff ingredients, including tomato sauce.

Love tapas, unfortunately many don't know how great the stuff is. Le tthem just try it and they will be hooked.

Wish there were more tapas places to go to, we love the stuff.

Oops, forgot to check the thread...

Yes, auntdot, thank you. Fideos is the spanish word for "noodle". These are very thin and only about 1-2 inches long. I like to buy fresh angel hair pasta and cut it into 2 inch sticks and then drop them in broth with a pinch of saffron...yum! Or just add an extra cup of chicken stock to this meatball recipe and let the fideos cook in the broth and that helps thicken it too. Like Spanish style Swedish meatballs.

Last edited:
Hello Candocook

That Almond Garlic Stressel looks delicious.
But what would one serve it with?:)

Mel

Mel! said:
Hello Candocook

That Almond Garlic Stressel looks delicious.
But what would one serve it with?:)

Mel

That is strange isn't it. I guess you could use it as the crumb topping for potatoes or something. Potato dishes are popular for tapas also.
I got that site and the one I am posting below to print out a little cookbook for our kids when we gave them tapas pans a couple of years ago for Christmas.
Here is a nicer site in my opinion.
Tapas Recipes

Check out the Red Peppers with Anchovies on that site. I have an Italian friend who fixes these, and they are great! She also uses green peppers, and those are good too.

tapas

hi pardon for my english,because I used to be bad in it,the name tapa=cover I think than it comes than when it was asked for a glass of wine,in the bar cover the glass with pieces of chesses,prosicutto,etc
In spain every year used look for the best tapa,you can look for names like pintxos,tapas,etc.
when you entry in a bar to eat something there are zones where to have a beer is to eat a tapa free.
Perhaps the most famous tapa are potatoes BRABAS
We cut the potatoes about a inch,and we fry with a lot of oil.
In other side you make a mahonese with oil and egg,but you join two heads of garlic,we call alioli.al=garlic i=and oli=oil,but we used mix a egg also.
the end of the dish:in the potatoes you join the alioli,and over also you join ketchup
brabas=fried potatoes+mahonese with garlic+ketchup
there are more like pescadito frito,calamares a la romana,etc
every year there are more,they are like little dishes
jose

chupito de pulpo

chupito is licour served in little glass
you need a little glass of licour,potatoes because you need to make pure of potatoes,so you need to join the boil potatoe wit some butter,and with some milk,and octopus=pulpo,and same oil and powerpeeper
you make the pure of potatoe with too much potatoe,than other.
in other side you boil the octopus and you join some peeper power,after you slice too little
the presentation is
a little glass with pure and over the octopus,is served with a spoon
pardon for my english I know is tooooooooooo bad
chupito after to have a dinner in spain we used drink coffee with licour,and after a chupito,licour:anis,brandy,etc....
jose

good ones Mateix, btw do you have a recipe for a torta española being a large potato and vegetable omelette? I enjoy that from time to time but I tend to over Mexicanize it, which means I should know how to do it right first and then mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom