"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I went back and edited. I did forget to put the onions in the recipe. :-) I sorry, my brain is somewhat on the old, decrepit side. LOL

Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

My husband is from Bosnia and they call it Pita there. But it is not made with rice. They make their own dough which is incredibly hard for me so I just use phyllo dough. The recipe he has includes butter to keep the layers moist, heavy cream, spinach, salt and pepper to taste and feta cheese. we roll it into snake like shapes and swirl it in a circular pan from his country. It's very delicate, gets nice and brown and crunchy on top. He likes it with sour cream. :)

Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Hello, I came in late. What, where is the recipe for the Spanokopita? Gossie did you post it originally? Lost. Please help...all above sounds delicious.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Had friends over today and served a "simple spinach crustless quiche" chopped spinach, feta, swiss, cottage cheese, eggs, nutmeg, cayenne. bakes up and is a great meatless entree or appetizer. Always disappears fast. So whatever form one makes of this spinach and feta delight, it seems to be a winner!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I've used the same recipe for about 25 years, I've just never seen a recipe that calls for using pie dough. I've also always used sauteed onions and dill.
That's cuz Ayrton made up the pie crust herself. Usually it's made with phyllo dough. I don't have the room in my kitchen to play with the phyllo dough, so decided to incorporate Ayrton's idea of pie crust. She is such a really smart and inventive cook. Let's all pick up a ticket for Greece and stay at her house for a month a two. LoL just kidding hehe
Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Hello, I came in late. What, where is the recipe for the Spanokopita? Gossie did you post it originally? Lost. Please help...all above sounds delicious.
LoL

If you see the long winded reply I made earlier, it does have a recipe within, you just have to figure out what is recipe and what is note. hehehe

If I ever get it into what looks like recipe form, I'll be sure to post it here :=)
HONEST!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Had friends over today and served a "simple spinach crustless quiche" chopped spinach, feta, swiss, cottage cheese, eggs, nutmeg, cayenne. bakes up and is a great meatless entree or appetizer. Always disappears fast. So whatever form one makes of this spinach and feta delight, it seems to be a winner!

Hmmmmm Quiche .. hadn't thought of that. THANK YOU!!!

I've made scrambled eggs with spinach and garlic and onion and feta and s&p. This is good too.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie
That's cuz Ayrton made up the pie crust herself. Usually it's made with phyllo dough. I don't have the room in my kitchen to play with the phyllo dough, so decided to incorporate Ayrton's idea of pie crust. She is such a really smart and inventive cook. Let's all pick up a ticket for Greece and stay at her house for a month a two. LoL just kidding hehe
Gosh, Gossie. What a generous and kind comment!

The truth is perhaps more that as a foreigner here, I feel a little less bound by tradition than many Greeks might. Besides, I like to bend rules!

I also, however, have the advantage by living here of being exposed to a million variations of Greek dishes, spanakopita being one of them. As I'd said in my original post, there are any number of "traditional" crusts, of which phyllo is only one. I don't happen to like it very much, preferring the Greek "kourou" for its better re-heating properties if nothing else, and since a standard American/English pie crust is quite similar, it wasn't much of a jump for me to try it out when I wanted to make a crust rather than buy it ready...

After all, "necessity is the mother of invention"?!

Kidding or not, you'd all be very welcome -- I'd love nothing more than to have the chance to introduce you to some Greek favorites and show you how they're made. (Boufa, shall we count you in?!)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Kidding or not, you'd all be very welcome -- I'd love nothing more than to have the chance to introduce you to some Greek favorites and show you how they're made. (Boufa, shall we count you in?!)
Ayrton, count me in.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
Sous Chef

My husband is Greek and he LOVES the way I did it. He said it was a little different than the ones his Dad made, being that his Dad used phyllo dough. He said he would like me to make mine again, so it couldn't have been all bad. LOL

Tags
None