"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I need a good filling recipe. I am not crazy about the ingredients in the above recipe.
For example i want regular rice, fresh garlic and onions just for a start.
Is rice actually required?
How about just the meat mixture.
Is this dish Jewish or Polish?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

There are several recipes above. Did you look at them all?

Stuffed cabbage rolls originated in the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire as stuffed grape leaves. They were brought to Eastern Europe with the Ottoman Army and re-invented with local ingredients, i.e., cabbage instead of grape leaves. So it's Eastern European, not just Polish. I suppose Ashkenazi Jews picked it up, too, since it doesn't violate any dietary laws that I know of.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I know a woman who used to use her meatloaf recipe with rice for her stuffed cabbage. The tomato sauce she made was delicious. There is a Polish Club in Chelsea. Every Saturday the wives would cook big pans of food for the men. This woman only made the Cabbage Rolls. I would go there every Saturday I could. Just for them. She always returned home with an empty pan.

Tags
cabbage, recipe, tomato sauce

Stuffed Cabbage Stuffed cabbage Stuffed cabbage is one of those dishes that warms you all the way down to your bones on a cold day. I have fond memories of enjoying this dish in my parents sukkah with friends and family. I have to admit that this is the kind of recipe that I never measure out the ingredients. I provide approximate measurements here but you many need to adjust it. I think that this approach is appropriate for this recipe, as it is less able technique and more about love. 1 Small head of green cabbage 3 large cans of tomato sauce 1 cup duck sauce 1/4 cup of honey 1 cup of dark brown sugar 1/2 cup of Heinz Ketchup Black pepper to taste 1 Bottle of Pomegranate Juice (optional) 2lbs of ground beef 1 cup of instant rice Garlic powder to taste Onion powder to taste 2 large eggs About 5 days before you plan to make your stuffed cabbage freeze the head of cabbage, then take it out to thaw about 24 hours before you are ready to start. In a large heavy pot combine the tomato sauce, duck sauce, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, and black pepper and put over medium low heat. For Rosh Hashana I also add pomegranate juice. Combine the ground beef, rice, garlic powder, onion powder, and eggs thoroughly with your hand. Stuff the meat mixture into the cabbage and roll it up like a burrito. Add the cabbage rolls into the sauce and simmer on low for about 3 hours. 3 stars 1 reviews