"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

Another fan of stuffed shells and another vote for cottage cheese in the filling!

I usually make them stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and cheese or a mixture of cottage cheese and spinach. Once in a blue moon I make them with a seafood stuffing made with breadcrumbs, minced celery, onion, red bell pepper or pimento, shredded mozzarella, crab meat, shrimp and a little cream of shrimp soup as a binder. I use the remainder of the thinned soup as a sauce and top the dish with a few buttered breadcrumbs, bake until bubbly.

We used to be able to buy a nice frozen stuffed shell made with cheese and chopped broccoli, I have not seen them in years. They were easy just arrange in the pan add sauce, top with cheese and bake!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
Head Chef

Guess I'm not so weird after all about the meat in large stuffed pastas. Who knew?

I do have to say I like the ricotta in stuffed pastas, but there's also a whole lot of moz and parm in there as well. However, I absolutely cannot stand cheesecakes with ricotta in them, nor do I like blobs of ricotta on pizza that seems to have become a trend, even those white pizzas that spread it out all over the crust. I tried one of the blobby pizzas once, $$$, at a place we had never tired, wood burning oven. Craig got another kind. I ended up eating part of his and he had to finish mine, couldn't stand it and it would have gone in the garbage, regardless of cost, if he hadn't eaten it.

I think I see another shell stuffing binge in our future soon... Still haven't tried out the alla vodka sauce on shells.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Another fan of stuffed shells and another vote for cottage cheese in the filling!

I usually make them stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and cheese or a mixture of cottage cheese and spinach. Once in a blue moon I make them with a seafood stuffing made with breadcrumbs, minced celery, onion, red bell pepper or pimento, shredded mozzarella, crab meat, shrimp and a little cream of shrimp soup as a binder. I use the remainder of the thinned soup as a sauce and top the dish with a few buttered breadcrumbs, bake until bubbly.
I remember seeing a recipe similar to that in a cookbook that's about 20 years old. It also has a recipe for canned salmon or tuna stuffed shells. We never got around to trying the former though it did look good and, for me, just no on the latter. We make a few recipes out of it fairly regularly, that's the one with the spinach pasta and sweet onion garlic sauce I rewrote and posted on here previously, plus a couple of others. It's got pictures of almost every dish and is a beautiful book so I usually end up flipping through it every time I get it out.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I remember seeing a recipe similar to that in a cookbook that's about 20 years old. It also has a recipe for canned salmon or tuna stuffed shells. We never got around to trying the former though it did look good and, for me, just no on the latter. We make a few recipes out of it fairly regularly, that's the one with the spinach pasta and sweet onion garlic sauce I rewrote and posted on here previously, plus a couple of others. It's got pictures of almost every dish and is a beautiful book so I usually end up flipping through it every time I get it out.
Tuna or salmon with peas and a creamy mushroom sauce sounds good, a tah-dah version of tuna noodle casserole.

I think my version started out in the late 50's or early 60's using Campbell's frozen lobster bisque. The good folks at Campbell's had a huge impact on the way America eats!!!

Tags
recipe

Stuffed Shells My favorite part of Christmas Dinner! Ingredients: 2lbs ground round spaghetti sauce 3 1lb boxes Jumbo Shells (you will probably only need 2, buy extra one just incase) 4 boxes frozen spinach 30oz container ricotta cheese 1 cup grated parmesan cheese 2 eggs 2 disposable lasagna pans Directions: *microwave spinach as directed *squeez spinach dry *brown meat *mix all ingredients in large bowl *fill pot up with water *add 1 tbsp oil to boiling water so shells don't stick together *cook shells as directed for baking use *fill shells with mixture *line bottom of pan with sauce *add layer of stuffed shells to pan (don't overlap them) *line top of stuffed shells with sauce *preheat over to 350 *cook, covered with reynolds wrap for 30 minutes *uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews