Sushi noobie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VIDEODROME

Cook
So recently I was in my local Kroger which has undergone a lot of renovating. They changed the deli around and now had sushi bar. I hadn't really thought of trying sushi before because I thought it was all raw meat or something. Since I like rice and seafood though I decided to try a Rainbow Roll that looked like a bit of Salmon and Crab. I thought it was good. I didn't really get into the soy sauce but I liked that dab of mustard that came with it.

Today I tried another one and got a Veggie Combo. I thought that one was good to.

So I guess I was curious how healthy food from Sushi Bars are? I'm sure it varies a lot. Some are probably fine while others might have a lot more calories.

Unless you get into the tempura rolls or rolls with cream cheese in them they should be pretty well-balanced meals and pretty healthy. Fish oil is not bad for you at all. There's not an over-abundance of carbs and rice is not bad for you. You get some veggies in there too. I've even had a strawberry and cream cheese roll!

Please be careful - there is a horrid chain reaction when it comes to sushi

you taste it
you like it
you think about it
you dream about it
you have more
then you have it again 3 days later
you can't QUIT thinking about it
you start sneaking by the store to get just 1 roll and not telling anyone
what the heck, you get two rolls the next time
your wallet gets lighter!!!!!!!!!

Eventually you learn how to make it at home :LOL:

Incidentally, we tried our hands at sushi for the first time just a couple of days ago and we really liked them.
I have to admit they were quite liberally modified as we don't care much for either wasabi, japanese style soy sauce or raw fish (aside from smoked salmon). Thus they were a bit less healthy than strictly traditional sushi, and as we didn't have those bamboo sheet to roll the sushi we just did rather messy "temaki" (hand rolled) version which didn't look exactly as aesthetic as you would see in the pictures, they were very good nontheless.
We used smoked salmon, crabmeat, prawns, steamed asparagus, avocado, cucumbers as filling, paired as you fancy, and toasted sesame seeds, mayonnaise and cream cheese as condiments.
Also we used apple vinegar instead of rice vinegar to season the rice, which is much milder so it required bigger amount of it, but it was very pleasant as well.
All in all, with the ingredients we used (we did use those sticky sushi rice which needs a bit more care while preparing and cooking, and toasted nori/sea weed sheets) it is not so difficult to prepare at home, we may be doing this more often than we ever thought!!:-p

Wow~ Sushi is what I really like!~~! Where I live is very close to sea, so there are many restaurant which provide delicious sushi. Among sushies, I like shrimp sushi. Be sure to have this next time~~

"as we don't care much for either wasabi, japanese style soy sauce or raw fish (aside from smoked salmon)"

Wow, i don't think i've ever talked to anyone who didn't like shoyu. i can't live without it.

Mylegsbig said:
"as we don't care much for either wasabi, japanese style soy sauce or raw fish (aside from smoked salmon)"

Wow, i don't think i've ever talked to anyone who didn't like shoyu. i can't live without it.

Haven't heard anyone use the term shoyu outside my family. Nice to know someone else knows the term! :)

Love! Love! Sushi! My fav is smoked salmon & tuna & eel & . . . oh I just like 'em all! With some people, the problem with sushi is a texture thing AND getting past the fact that you're eating raw fish. Get past that, & you're mouth will have an absolute party! :LOL: Do experiment, but be sure to go to a reputable restaurant & that the fish is kept cold!

I went recently to visit my parents (Mom was very sick), and after discussing her health issues, the next thing my father said was, "you have to take me for sushi." We introduced Dad to sushi at a local sushi bar when we lived in Hawaii, and it was love at first bite. This from a man who hates rice. We did finally find a sushi bar in Daytona that was open for lunch and had a great time, in spite of the circumstances. The three of us (husband, Dad, and me) ate and ate and ate some more. The truth is that much of the fish that is used in sushi and sashimi is frozen immediately upon being caught. When I make it here, in the midwest, I usually make the kinds and varieties of sushi that do not use raw fish; I simply do not trust it (although when I go to a restaurant, I will eat it and trust!). There is a lot of sushi that doesn't require raw fish.

I was impressed by this particular sushi bar. In Hawaii I often went to sushi places that put the sushi on the buffet table or on a conveyer belt. THis place had little boats floating by in ice-cold water. My favorite, of course, is to go to a bar where you can have a one-on-one with the sushi chef. But this was perfect for Daddy. The sushi floated by on little boats, on little plates that were color-coded for price. This made it very, very easy for Dad. Hubby and I grabbed the first round, then Dad would point and ask me what this or that was (there were lables, but even then, if you aren't familiar with the lingo ....) On the subsequent rounds, I made Dad pick. We had a great afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom