"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Sushi Rice

I was told by the master Sushi chef that sushi rice should be washed 3 times. Then only use a LITTLE less water than rice. (ie 1 cup of rice to just a LITTLE less than 1 cup of water.)

Belive it or not, I really dont make very good rice. It seems so SIMPLE!!! How could I go wrong?

Old 06-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to chefwannabe Send a message via Yahoo to chefwannabe
I saw something about rice not too long ago on Food 911 with Tyler Florence. The majority of people that mess up on rice is because they don't let it sit before fluffing it with a fork or they don't cover it while its sitting.

For regular rice, I use equal parts of rice and boiling water, then I remove it from the heat and cover for about 5-7 minutes and then fluff with a fork. I love sushi so I will have to remember to use a little less water when I get all the stuff to start making my own sushi. The funny thing is that I only tried sushi so that my aunt would try it and I had my mind set that it tasted gross, but I actually liked it.

"Life is like a box of chocolates. All your friends get the good stuff and you get the leftovers."
chefwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Everymom

Sushi, you need to really rinse the rice well. Use short grain only for sushi. If you are "rolling your own" you will also need to add 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of sugar to your rice while hot. Stir until glossy and let sit until cool enough to use. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thanks guys! :D Yeah, after I make the rice I put in the rice vinegar, unrefined sugar and sea salt. Once I ran out of the rice vinegar.... So I used apple cidar vinegar. :x YUK! LOL!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
DS,

I make sushi rice quite a bit and it always turns out. I buy rice that is labeled sushi rice in the grocery store.

I follow the directions right on the bag. (ewwwwww - apple cider had to make the hair on your arms stand up LOL).

Well, I just went to look for my bag because I am doubting myself about quantities and I'm out of sushi rice :-( - it might be 2 cups rice, 3 cups water (rinse if you want to but I don't - maybe a little) bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, turn off heat, keep covered for 10 more. Pour into a ceramic or glass bowl (never aluminum and never use an aluminum spoon), add your sugar/rice vinegar/salt mixture that has been heated so the sugar melts, folding in from bottom while turning the bowl. Don't "mush" the rice. Have someone fan it while you fold it. I've tried to do both and I'm not quite that coordinated :oops:

I'll buy some tomorrow and change if this is not right.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I love sushi, but sushi is one of those things that I never make at home. I always go out and eat sushi if I feel like eating it. Maybe because I cook all day, when it's time to cook for myself, I only want to make something fast and easy. Everything high prep I'd rather pay someone else to make and serve me.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ironchef - you come to my house and I'll make you sushi - well heck, everyone come to my house and we'll have sushi. It's our favorite thing because we all sit around our 6' x 4' chopping block kitchen island with all this stuff spread out in front of us and stuff our faces while having a great time being together. Except don't expect giant clam - YUUUUUUUUUCK - it's even gross to look at.

And Dead Sushi - I promise to keep you alive

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

If I am invited to your house for sushi, then I am going to definitely have to make sushi for you to eat as well. Just be adventurous and prepared to eat sushi that you've definitely never eaten before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
ironchef - you come to my house and I'll make you sushi - well heck, everyone come to my house and we'll have sushi. It's our favorite thing because we all sit around our 6' x 4' chopping block kitchen island with all this stuff spread out in front of us and stuff our faces while having a great time being together. Except don't expect giant clam - YUUUUUUUUUCK - it's even gross to look at.

And Dead Sushi - I promise to keep you alive
Old 06-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

there is also a few tricks you can use 1. 1/4 inch above the rice in the pan this is the fastest way to add the water to the rice 2. let the water come to a boil and turn off and cover for 15 min 3. the most important is to use a bamboo bowl to stir is your vinagar and miran maybe a little surgar added to the vinagar as well 4. i will be over for sushi let me throw on some clothes. :D :)
Old 06-29-2004, 01:09 AM   #10
Everymom

Cool! A sushi party! Can I come? I will bring my own sudare (sp?). ironchef...what do you mean stuff I have never seen before? I am curious. Hey...could this be a potential "Dine with Us" topic?

Tags
None