Sushi Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
I was told by the master Sushi chef that sushi rice should be washed 3 times. Then only use a LITTLE less water than rice. (ie 1 cup of rice to just a LITTLE less than 1 cup of water.)

Belive it or not, I really dont make very good rice. It seems so SIMPLE!!! How could I go wrong?
1.gif

I saw something about rice not too long ago on Food 911 with Tyler Florence. The majority of people that mess up on rice is because they don't let it sit before fluffing it with a fork or they don't cover it while its sitting.

For regular rice, I use equal parts of rice and boiling water, then I remove it from the heat and cover for about 5-7 minutes and then fluff with a fork. I love sushi so I will have to remember to use a little less water when I get all the stuff to start making my own sushi. The funny thing is that I only tried sushi so that my aunt would try it and I had my mind set that it tasted gross, but I actually liked it.

Sushi, you need to really rinse the rice well. Use short grain only for sushi. If you are "rolling your own" you will also need to add 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of sugar to your rice while hot. Stir until glossy and let sit until cool enough to use. Good luck.

Thanks guys! :D Yeah, after I make the rice I put in the rice vinegar, unrefined sugar and sea salt. Once I ran out of the rice vinegar.... So I used apple cidar vinegar. :x YUK! LOL!!!!!! :LOL:

DS,

I make sushi rice quite a bit and it always turns out. I buy rice that is labeled sushi rice in the grocery store.

I follow the directions right on the bag. (ewwwwww - apple cider had to make the hair on your arms stand up LOL).

Well, I just went to look for my bag because I am doubting myself about quantities and I'm out of sushi rice :-( - it might be 2 cups rice, 3 cups water (rinse if you want to but I don't - maybe a little) bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, turn off heat, keep covered for 10 more. Pour into a ceramic or glass bowl (never aluminum and never use an aluminum spoon), add your sugar/rice vinegar/salt mixture that has been heated so the sugar melts, folding in from bottom while turning the bowl. Don't "mush" the rice. Have someone fan it while you fold it. I've tried to do both and I'm not quite that coordinated :oops:

I'll buy some tomorrow and change if this is not right.

I love sushi, but sushi is one of those things that I never make at home. I always go out and eat sushi if I feel like eating it. Maybe because I cook all day, when it's time to cook for myself, I only want to make something fast and easy. Everything high prep I'd rather pay someone else to make and serve me.

ironchef - you come to my house and I'll make you sushi - well heck, everyone come to my house and we'll have sushi. It's our favorite thing because we all sit around our 6' x 4' chopping block kitchen island with all this stuff spread out in front of us and stuff our faces while having a great time being together. Except don't expect giant clam - YUUUUUUUUUCK - it's even gross to look at.

And Dead Sushi - I promise to keep you alive ;)

If I am invited to your house for sushi, then I am going to definitely have to make sushi for you to eat as well. Just be adventurous and prepared to eat sushi that you've definitely never eaten before.

kitchenelf said:
ironchef - you come to my house and I'll make you sushi - well heck, everyone come to my house and we'll have sushi. It's our favorite thing because we all sit around our 6' x 4' chopping block kitchen island with all this stuff spread out in front of us and stuff our faces while having a great time being together. Except don't expect giant clam - YUUUUUUUUUCK - it's even gross to look at.

And Dead Sushi - I promise to keep you alive ;)

there is also a few tricks you can use 1. 1/4 inch above the rice in the pan this is the fastest way to add the water to the rice 2. let the water come to a boil and turn off and cover for 15 min 3. the most important is to use a bamboo bowl to stir is your vinagar and miran maybe a little surgar added to the vinagar as well 4. i will be over for sushi let me throw on some clothes. :D :)

Cool! A sushi party! Can I come? I will bring my own sudare (sp?). ironchef...what do you mean stuff I have never seen before? I am curious. Hey...could this be a potential "Dine with Us" topic?

it would be stuff like this:

Pan Seared Foie Gras Sushi with Soy-Balsamic Reduction

Tuna Tartare Roll with Ginger-Wasabi Vinaigrette

Cripsy Soft Shell Crab Tempura Roll with Sweet Chili-Mustard Sauce

Smoked Salmon and Grilled Portobello Mushroom Roll with Roasted Garlic Aioli

I usually make my sushi rice with generally a little less vinegar if I am making fusion stuff, and with more vinegar if I'm making traditional sushi

Alix, I just don't know about sundaes with sushi. I might have to pass on that one.

Can someone tell me what all I should buy (equipment) to make sushi here at home?

We always try something new each time we go for sushi - the last time I got the scallop special - the chef leaned over to me (I don't know if I can quite type it like he said but I'll try) - scarrop stia bleathing, ok?

I had him repeat it and realized he was telling me the scallop was still breathing LOL I was a tad hesitant but went for it anyway. OMG - that scallop was sooooooo sweet and soooooo good. And this particular time we mostly had everything served sashimi style on daikon radish threads versus rice - VERY refreshing!!!!

I like fresh cilantro on anything with salmon. I prefer my squid slightly browned under a broiler though. I even like for dessert a piece of nori with a cream cheese strip and slices of kiwi and strawberry - pretty good~ even with a little bit of soya sauce

Well, thanks a lot guys. You got me SOOOOOOO hungry, I had to go out and get myself SUSHI! :D
1.gif
I havent had it in awhile. But it was sooooooooo GOOD! I ordered about $40 worth. 90% of it was on the menu. But then I started getting creative, and I wrote down what I wanted in the roll and handed it to the chef. It was just fantastic! And I also found out that this particular place puts more salt into the rice than sugar. Thats a 1st for ME. Anyhew, it was a fun time, expensive and TASTEY!!!
15.gif

fat n happy - it was great!!! I also like cream cheese sometimes in my tuna or salmon or eel rolls. SOMETIMES - most of the time I'm on a raw fish binge where I must need some kind of mineral or vitamin from the fish - I become CRAZED :roll: until I get it! LOL

I feel the SAME way Elf! I get this craving..... its like addiction! :shock: I get like a crazed animal if I cant get my sushi.
2.gif
Of course most folks think Im nuts...... they think sushi is discusting. :? Well, let me tell ya.... 9 out of 10 people that I bring to the sushi bar either like it or just love it! I brought home a piece of tuna roll for my cats. They enjoyed it too!
5.gif

OMG...ironchef...that sounds wonderful. I am so in for that. Lori...ha ha ha..what would we do without your wonderful sense of humour. I got my SUDARE mat and my other things at WalMart. Cheap and easy to use. You can buy nori paper in any grocery store here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom