"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
true, IIRC, the Raw fish dish is called Sashimi.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
true, IIRC, the Raw fish dish is called Sashimi.
Whilst I don't prepare Sushi, my buddy does - he always soaks the nori a little while before using it.
You should use Sushi rice - no other, or you won't get the stickiness you need.
Sushi making is an art. If you watch a REAL Sushi chef doing his stuff, instead of a Franchise Kiddy, you'll see the difference. It's awesome. It's art. It's a whole culture you're putting in your mouth!

As for the raw fish (sashimi) - I eat very, very little fish. Almost none. But Sashimi Tuna I love - it is simply Ambrosia; food for the gods. They only use the very essence of the heart of the tuna loin, for example - simply melt-in-the-mouth stuff.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never soaked the nori and never seen a recipe that called for it. You do have to roast the nori. It changes color to almost black when roasted. However, you can easily find pre-roasted nori.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
Master Chef

I LOVE sashimi, and when living in Hawaii (off & on for ten years) ate more raw seafood than you can imagine. I grew up eating raw beef on a regular basis, so when I was introduced to ahi sashimi, I was enthralled. It was a very short trip to other kinds of raw seafood. But I now live in the Midwest, and feel that I need to be more careful. So when I make sushi here, it is mostly cooked, and I rarely eat sashimi. I miss it!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

raw fish?

seaweed?

savages...

j/k

i've seen some sushi chefs quickly soak nori, but maybe because it was extremely dry, or old (eek!).

one trick to learn is one hand wet, one hand dry.
the wet hand forms the rice (wet so it doesn't stick to your fingers), the dry hand handles the fish and wasabi.
when making rolls, use the dry hand to hold the nori on the edge, the wet hand to press down the rice.

also, wet your knife before slicing so the nori doesn't tear and the rice won't stick to the blade and fall out.

almost all sushi places i've been to use the plastic wrap on the mat, as chopstix had mentioned.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Good on you for making your own Sushi..its easy and cheap not to mention rewarding.!

Please make sure you use proper Sushi seasoning/vinegar not just any old vinegar about the house..
If I am making Sushi to be served at a party, I always include the pink ginger in the rolls, not left for the clients to pick up and add. Also, I mix wasabi with soy so that no one has to worry about spreading wasabi then dipping in soy. A real hassle if you have a drink in the other hand!!
Keep a little sticky rice back to anchor your little soy sauce bowls too. No one notices but it sure saves a soy sauce mess on carpet if platters tillt.

As you are rolling sushi, stop 1/2 way and really SQUEEZE the roll along its width thru' the bamboo mat to compress the filling. You will see Japanese Sushi Masters bang the ends of the rolls very firmly before taking out of mat. I would too if I could find a mat EXACTLY the same size as the nori sheet!!!
I live in hope.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
If I am making Sushi to be served at a party, I always include the pink ginger in the rolls, not left for the clients to pick up and add.
For your next party you might want to leave some ginger out. The ginger traditionally is not meant to be eaten with the sushi. It is meant as a palate cleanser between different types of sushi. I was once told by a sushi chef that he knew who the Americans were without looking at their faces by who put ginger on their sushi. He also said something similar about wasabi in soy, but I won't go there. The bottom line though is that (as far as I am concerned) there is no right or wrong way. Whatever works for you is the correct way to do it.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
For your next party you might want to leave some ginger out. The ginger traditionally is not meant to be eaten with the sushi. It is meant as a palate cleanser between different types of sushi. I was once told by a sushi chef that he knew who the Americans were without looking at their faces by who put ginger on their sushi. He also said something similar about wasabi in soy, but I won't go there. The bottom line though is that (as far as I am concerned) there is no right or wrong way. Whatever works for you is the correct way to do it.
I am such an american
Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

And there is nothing wrong with that (although others can argue that point lol)
Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
Sous Chef

We love sushi and sashimi - we got so into it that we've been buying molds and stuff for some of the fancier shapes. I've got enough mats and dishes (half of which are now in storage) for 12 people to have a wonderful sushi party.

The last one we had beef sashimi - absolutely fantastic. I think next week we're going to go get the goodies for sushi - we'll take the ferry over to SF and get the tuna and goodies. We're also getting a jar each of wasabi and ginger caviar for garnish. Our local Safeway now has a fresh sushi bar!!! We grabbed some Saturday - it was darn good. Of course Japanese mayo and lots of wasabi were pretty good too. I think I could eat myself sillywith Sushi.

Tags
None