"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I have this on order, my British friends tell me it is a wonder and will give me perfect sushi everytime!

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!10232

Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
For your next party you might want to leave some ginger out. The ginger traditionally is not meant to be eaten with the sushi. It is meant as a palate cleanser between different types of sushi. I was once told by a sushi chef that he knew who the Americans were without looking at their faces by who put ginger on their sushi. He also said something similar about wasabi in soy, but I won't go there. The bottom line though is that (as far as I am concerned) there is no right or wrong way. Whatever works for you is the correct way to do it.
to tell you the truth, i've never seen anyone actually put the ginger on a piece of sashimi or sushi. how can you taste the fish or the rice?

that would be like putting ketchup on carpaccio.

brianschef, i checked out that link, sort of a like a mitre box for sushi. it's cool, but another kitchen gadget that it's use can be done just as well with a good knife. same goes for garlic presses, onion choppers, tomato or egg slicers, etc...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #23
Senior Cook

i shudder to the thought of the overpowering ginger inside the sushi rolls... it is indeed a palate cleanser between different types of fish as GB said
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
to tell you the truth, i've never seen anyone actually put the ginger on a piece of sashimi or sushi. how can you taste the fish or the rice?
I have to admin that the first few times I had sushi I did exactly that. I thought that was what you were supposed to do. After I had a bit of education on the subject though things started to make sense and sushi became a much more enjoyable experience for me.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #25
Master Chef

First off, you can't just use any plain old rice for sushi. Regardless of what ingredients you added to it, regular long-grain rice would just fall apart - not to mention why the heck go to all the trouble to create something like the artwork sushi is supposed to be using the wrong type of one of the most important ingredients?? It must be short-grain rice - preferably a Japanese variety & these days nearly all supermarkets will carry one or two of them in their Asian section. In fact, even places like CostCo carry it - albeit in larger sizes. But kept in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, it keeps very well, & can also be used to accompany other Asian dishes.

Second - you only need a bamboo mat & nori seaweed if you're planning on making Makizushi - which are the nori "rolled" sushi (although even there, creative sushi chefs will sometimes do them cubed as well). And if you do the large cone-shaped handrolls, you only need the nori - no bamboo mat. Only soak nori if you want to end up with a disintegrating slimy mess. It should be lightly toasted which should make it quite pliable. If too old to begin with or overtoasted, it will crumble. However, don't throw it away if this happens. Save it in an airtight container & use it to garnish other Japanese dishes - especially rice & soups.

For Nigiri sushi (the rice ovals with toppings), all you need is the properly prepared & seasoned rice, your toppings, & *your hands*. With this type, a small strip of nori is only used as a decoration once in awhile.

I do a lot of this cooking at home, & while I do have a cute little bamboo rice paddle for cooling the rice (an important step), as well as several bamboo mats, neither is necessary for turning out basic sushi. If you have any specific questions, I have a Japanese friend whose family owns & runs a sushi restaurant & catering company. I doubt there's any question she can't answer.

There also are quite a few websites devoted to making sushi, as well as a number of online companies that sell frozen sushi-quality seafood of all types. It's EXTREMELY important that any raw fish you use has been frozen at zero degrees for at least 48 hours to reduce the possibility of parasites.

Good luck, & have fun making your own sushi - I know I do!!!

Tags
None