Sweet and Sour Seitan Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
This recipe has been in the works for quite some time. I needed a replacement for pork in sweet and sour pork. Plus being me always working on a better breading and sauce. You can use pork if you do not want to use seitan.

Sweet-and-Sour-Seitan-main-1024x683.jpeg

Ingredients:

9 oz seitan
Breading
2/3 Cup Flour All Purpose
1/3 Cup Cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

Sauce
1 Cup Vegetable stock
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Raw Sugar
2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Black vinegar
1 Tablespoon Pineapple Juice
2 Tablespoons Crushed pineapple

Slurry
1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon water

Vegetables
1/4 Cup onion
1/4 Cup cabbage
1/4 Cup red bell pepper
1/4 Cup green bell pepper
1/4 Cup zucchini

Instructions:

Breading for the Seitan
To a bowl add 2/3 Cup all purpose flour, 1/3 Cup cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic. Mix all of this up.

Remove 1/4 Cup of the mixture and place into another bowl. To this bowl add three Tablespoons of water and mix. This is our wet mixture.
Place your seitan into the bowl with the dry mixture and coat the outside with dry mixture. Pat off the excess and add to the bowl with the wet mixture.
Coat the seitan with the wet batter then return the seitan to the dry mixture. Coat with the dry mixture and let sit for at least fifteen minutes.

Sauce
Start with one Cup of vegetable stock, 1/4 Cup ketchup, 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar, one Tablespoon raw sugar, two Tablespoons soy sauce, two Tablespoons black vinegar, one Tablespoon pineapple juice and two Tablespoons crushed pineapple. Mix all of this together and set aside.

Make a thickening slurry with 1/2 Tablespoon of cornstarch and one Tablespoon water. Mix it up and set aside.

Cut up your veggies. I used 1/2 cup of each the following zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and cabbage.

Cooking:
While the oil (I like peanut oil) for frying is heating up bring your sauce up to a simmer and add the onion and cabbage. Reduce the heat to low.

Working in batches fry the seitan until golden brown.

When the seitan is about half the way done add the bell pepper and zucchini to the sauce

When the seitan is almost finished check the thickness of your sauce. If it’s a little thin turn the heat up and add your thickening slurry and mix. After the cornstarch has thickened the sauce turn the heat back to low.

When the seitan is done frying ad it to the sauce and toss to coat.

Printable recipe with nutrition info can be found at Sweet and Sour Seitan Recipe

On the Vegetables section it should be
1/2 Cup onion
1/2 Cup cabbage
1/2 Cup red bell pepper
1/2 Cup green bell pepper
1/2 Cup zucchini

The food looks really good, and I love how glossy it turns out. Thanks for the recipe PPO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom