Taco & Rice Dinner: Couple Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
kk first of all i know with taco meat you can brown it, then add a liquid and simmer it for a bit. I'm going to be using 1 1/4 lbs of 80% Ground Chuck.

How much liquid would this need? In a 12 inch skillet, btw. Should i just eyeball it and cover the meat ever so slightly?

second question.... What is the average amount of Chili Powder you'd think would go with 1 1/4 lb ground beef? I can eyeball the rest of the spices.

Third Question, im going to be using this rice recipe, modified in seasoning, taken from this site.

-----------------------------

Easy Spanish Rice

2 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs chopped onions
1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chunky salsa

Saute the onions in oil. Stir in the rice and fry a bit. Stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.

---------------------------------

Question, is "Medium Grain Enriched Rice" the same as the rice in question? If so, how can it be adjusted? Looks like plain old white rice to me.

Here is how I make mine.

2 pounds or so ground beef
1 medium onions finely chopped
2 tsp of freshly roasted and powdered cumin powder
1 tsp of chili powder
2 tsp of paprika
2 tbsp of oil
No water
salt to taste

In a saute pan add the oil and once it's hot add the onions cook until they are translucent. Add the beef along with the cumin powder, chili powder and paprika.

Cover and cook on low to med heat. The ground beef releases a lot of water as it cooks so you really don't need any more water. After about 20 minutes or so when the water has evaporated use some elbow grease to brown the meat (constantly stirring it). This will brown it nicely and the onion will add a lot of flavor and texture to the meat and they will disappear (so you will not see them).

For the rice yes you can use regular long grain or medium grain rice. The only thing I would add to the recipe is some chopped fresh cilantro.

I agree with Yakuta that you really don't need any added liquid.

I confess that I often use this stuff:wacko:

05416.jpg

i winged it. i just thinly covered the skillet with water. after browning, I simmered it for around 20 mins. Just covered it liberally with my penzey's hot chili powder

as for the rice, WOW...ive never made rice so good in my life...i used that recipe i posted as a base and a reference for liquid / rice ratio, then just went to town with it..... browned the rice first like it said....wow........best rice ever...added lime juice, cilantro, small dried red hot peppers(removed these before serving) cracked black pepper, fresh ground cumin, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this was the best meal i've made in a while. fantastic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom