"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
Head Chef

I've been eating tacos all my life. Favorite meats are either shredded chuck roast or pork butt, but the kind we used to make when I greased my first skillet were, like yours, ground beef and smushed beans. I still make them like that sometimes.
Tell me about your epazote. When both it and I are in the Mexican Grocery at the same time I freeze whole leaves or twigs. Cook with beans and fish them out at the end like bay leaves. Guessing you're adding chopped leaves to the skillet early, like oregano?

PS I looked up smushed and it is a word, and it means what we mean by it, but don't look it up in your urban dictionary.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taco meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I've been eating tacos all my life. Favorite meats are either shredded chuck roast or pork butt, but the kind we used to make when I greased my first skillet were, like yours, ground beef and smushed beans. I still make them like that sometimes.

Tell me about your epazote. When both it and I are in the Mexican Grocery at the same time I freeze whole leaves or twigs. Cook with beans and fish them out at the end like bay leaves. Guessing you're adding chopped leaves to the skillet early, like oregano?

PS I looked up smushed and it is a word, and it means what we mean by it, but don't look it up in your urban dictionary.

LOL! As I said, it's not authentic, it just tasted good. We are frequent visitors to Mexico, and also have many excellent Mexican restaurants where we live, so I'm no stranger to the good stuff!

I use epazote from Penzey's, it's dried and finely chopped, but I really like it in chili and bean dishes. I add it after browning the beef and just leave it in.

And now I'm off to look up what smushed means in the urban dictionary!

Edit: Oh dear. Well, I've been using "smushed" as a cooking term long before Urban Dictionary appeared.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #23
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I use epazote from Penzey's, it's dried and finely chopped, but I really like it in chili and bean dishes. I add it after browning the beef and just leave it in...
In Chili you say? Hmmm, more details please? This sounds interesting and how spendy is this spice you speak of from Penzey's? We have a store about 30 miles from here...
Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
In Chili you say? Hmmm, more details please? This sounds interesting and how spendy is this spice you speak of from Penzey's? We have a store about 30 miles from here...

Epazote is cheap. Supposedly it takes away the, um, possible after effects of bean dishes. It's called the "bean herb" in several cultures. I find it to be a nice addition. You are lucky to have a Penzey's that close, K-Girl, we have many Penzeys fans here on DC!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #25
Head Chef

so, @dawgluver does epazote impart any different flavor to the dish?
I just watched an episode of Julia Childs Master Chefs on our local PBS station with Rick Bayless and he had made so sort of dish using the same fresh herb... LOVE Penzey, my Mother discovered it not long at after we moved here, I had never heard of them, being as there is now in Honolulu.
OH, I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread? SO SORRY, not sure who the OP is...
Now, back to your regular programming...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Spendy and cheap are relative terms depending on the wallet of the beholder, so to speak. Here is a link to Penzeys online price list. Penzeys online price list. Type Epazote in the search box and press enter.
1/8 ounce for $3.45, $5.15 per ounce or $24.29 for 8 ounces is too much for me, but I'm poor and cheap both. Fortunately for me and I bet for you in Arizona there is a Mexican market nearby. I don't remember the price because it really is cheap. Its sold in a bunch like collard greens or whatever they sell in Hawaii in bunches like collard greens or epazote. Probably less than 2 bucks a bunch.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #27
Head Chef

Oh, okay...

@skilletlicker, I never thought about that, sure I would imagine I should be able to find that here, what being so close to Mexico and all.
BTW, @dawgluver, it is yourself who is the OP of this thread...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Epazote is pretty easy to grow in warmer climates.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taco meat!

Quote:
@skilletlicker, I never thought about that, sure I would imagine I should be able to find that here, what being so close to Mexico and all.
BTW, @dawgluver, it is yourself who is the OP of this thread...

Yes. Yes I am!

Dried epazote weighs almost nothing. An ounce yields a big bag. Hard to describe the flavor. Since I have it, I add it to anything with beans.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #30
Master Chef

I do the same as chiklitmanfan. I fry corn tortillas in just a little bit of oil, half inch or so, and pull them out when they're still pliable. I don't like them fried crispy, because then they are harder to open to fill with goodies.

As far back as I can remember, my dad made tacos for us every Friday night. It was us kids' favorite night of the week.

I love tacos just about any way...with chicken, gr. beef, shredded beef, fish...but I think my fave is very simple. Pulled pork with a little cumin, lettuce and salsa. Often some avocado. No cheese on mine, and never store bought taco shells.

Tags
None