"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #71
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I had a lot of trouble with my frying the taco shells, to the point where it ruined the taco meat dinner I successfully made. First off I wanna say that the regular Mission tortillas are way thicker than mexican drive thru restaurants use. They fry up more like pita bread than authentic taco shells. They also kept coming out too brown. I discovered this site that may explain why. That site no doubt shows why the inside of the folded shell stayed too soft while the outside burned. I was frying them at around 350F which is what some sites say to do. Anyways, I'm SURE that the tortillas mexican joints use aren't as thick as Mission's regular tortillas. Those things fry up like pillows! I had a hard time tasting the taco meat! I took a hint about poking small holes in the tortillas before frying to lessen them billowing up during frying, it only helped a little.

I couldn't find any at my store, but Mission does make extra thin tortillas. I'll buy some and practice with those before I make my next batch of taco meat. I'll definitely lower the cooking oil temp.
I'm sure sorry you had trouble Caslon!

Your oil was either way too hot or you cooked them too long (probably both) for them to turn out like you described. You shouldn't be looking to brown them, as you don't want them crisp, or the seam will break when filling them. They will be nothing like Taco Bell. When you say they puffed up like pita bread pillows it leads me to the question..are you sure you used the yellow corn Mission tortilla's and not the flour?

If I knew how to make a youtube video for you, I would.
Keep at it... and refer back to page 4, post #33

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote