"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Master Chef

Store bought soft tortillas. I will heat them on cast iron or over diffused flames.
I will also use store bought tostadas when having ceviche, for instance.

A friend brought over a dozen (on sale) hard shelled tacos from Taco Bell yesterday and I had 7 of them. I never buy or cook hard shelled tacos for myself but these were good.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Executive Chef

flour tortillas for burritos, quesadillas and fajitas.

I usually stop at a local tortilleria and get fresh corn tortillas. You can watch them make them.

I like soft shelled rolled tacos. I just heat them dry in a pan until they are fully pliable. Fill, roll, eat. If I accidentally cook them too long, well then it's tostadas. I also prefer corn tortillas for enchiladas. And they are good hot with just butter on them.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

When I visited Copala Mexico on a tour, we had lunch at this little place and they served a taco that seemed like a corn tortilla that had been filled then folded and fried on each side. It was delicious!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Oh, I forgot, we have also been enjoying the combo corn and wheat tortillas lately. Have found them at Von's (Safeway) and Trader Joe's.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Head Chef

I use store bought cardboard shells for tacos al gringo. I haven't taken the time to slow cook a roast for good taco meat yet, but I'd fry up fresh tortillas in oil to make the shells if I were to.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Thanks for the comment Hamm. I'm curious what the combo corn/wheat is like and I'll try to remember to buy and try some.

Another interesting--and different--tortilla I've tried is yellow corn tortillas from Mission (brand). They are distinctly different from ordinary corn tortillas and I'm not sure why, except the obvious that they are made from a different type of corn. The manufacturer claims they are made " Thinner for superior frying results. Lighter weight. Use for tostadas, flautas, salad bowls and tortilla chips." Well I won't dispute that, since I've used them to for taquitos. They were good!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I use store bought cardboard shells for tacos al gringo...
That's what we do. Maybe there is better, but these taste good to us.

I only want wheat tortillas if they are whole wheat

Montreal has lots of great food, but for some reason, when it comes to Mexican, not so much. There used to be a great, authentic Mexican place on Crescent Street, but it isn't there any more.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

soft corn tortillas, heated in hot oil just till they puff , then over and out. i buy extra thin ones. forget the brand. right now, dieting, i heated in micro. think i will try with just a spot of oil. i didn't really enjoy the texture in the micro ones.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I was reading Mission's website regarding their yellow corn tortillas which they claim are thinner than most tortillas.

The tortillas also puff when heating over an open gas burner, a sure sign they are done or almost done.

Although I haven't tried this, I think you might have some success heating tortillas in a microwave if you wrap them in a slightly moist towel and place them in a microwave container with a loose fitting top. I believe this would be the equivalent of steaming tortillas, which is a common way of heating them.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
Head Chef

Mission tortillas are thin, as are those of pretty much all credible makers of authentic corn tortillas. Thinness was always the mark of accomplishment for a traditional home makers.

Now, chips are another matter. There's a place for both almost paper thin light chips and more substantial corn chips. I much prefer the thinnest for dipping salsas and picos without getting filled up. (Soooo much better than those horrid bread sticks or mediocre little loaves.) In the most reliable restaurants, they're always thin. (And always plentiful and free.) But the heavier chips are better for nachos, if you want to eat them by hand. And better for some thicker quesos, especially my favorite combination of cheese, chopper peppers, and chorizo. That needs a tougher chip.

And a heavy tortilla is the death of an otherwise good flauta. The frying toughens it up and makes it hard to cut or eat. A lighter tortilla lets the flauta deliver the filling, rather than the filling being lost inside a difficult wrapper. I have always found flautas one of the trickier dishes to get right. So simple, but so easy to mess up. (But chili relleno is the sound barrier. I know of no really good Tex-Mex place without a good relleno.) But you can tell if you're in a good place as soon as you sit down, because the chips will be right, and the salsas will be local or in-house.

Tomorrow, I'm taking off for Valentines, and we're going to our favorite little Tex-Mex dump where they'll make my enchilladas the way I want them, covered in chili and deiced onions, with a lot of fresh sliced jalapenos on the side.

Tags
None