"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
We eat a Lot of Tacos here.. but I'm in search of ..Something New!

We have many new people in this area from Southern Mexico and Central America.. so the Taco Fillings and Various Salsas are changing rapidly..many fillings are quite different and often the Salsas are Fruit based and very Good..

do Y'all have any New Taco Recipes?

I pretty sure they use Fish in Southern California! I've tried these before and liked.

Eric, Austin Tx.
If you've never had it before your going to love taco's, taquito, just about anything made using Mexican Chorizo. It's mostly made from ground pork that's seasoned with chili pepper, paprika, salt ,cumin, oregano, garlic powder. Depending on how you prefer it. It can be put into links, or kept ground without the casings.

The links that I've bought at the store were horrible. I swore I'd never try it again.
If you can get to a butcher that makes the Chorizo freshly ground I highly recommend it. Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way in flavor. You won't even need to add spices. Just cook it until it's crumbly. It won't have the fat content that ground beef does. After having a taco made with it I can't go back to beef or chicken. It's just not the same.

Before you head out to get some. Chorizo is not cheap. I pay well over $9.00 a Lb for it. It's worth it to try.
Good luck.

Munky.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Hey giggler, sorry about going off topic...

In Texas and throughout the SW, most Hispanic families buy their tortillas from a tortilleria which is a shop that does nothing but make corn tortillas! They are made fresh daily so they're just as good as homemade. The better Mexican restaurants probably buy their tortillas from these same places too.

Tim, soft corn tortillas are probably used more often than wheat by most hispanic families, so yes they exist. I find the ones from the grocery stores are really stiff and crumbly, but fresh made ones are soft but strong. I just bought a pack of the corn flour called maseca from the grocery store in the hispanic foods section and followed the instructions on the back. Corn tortillas are literally made out of hominy corn, salt and water, that's it. When you roll them out, you will need to put them between sheets of plastic wrap and you will have to play around with the amount of moisture to get it to not stick. The rolling out part is the hard part, so a tortilla press is really worth it. Then you just flop it on a hot skillet (a comal if you want to go all the way), turn it, and it's done. On the bag, they also give a recipes for huaraches which I might try sometime.

Nowadays, at least down here, you can find raw flour tortillas in the refrigerated section that you cook on a skillet at home. They are soooo much better than the crud in the bag! They taste more like fresh baked bread. And you can slightly under cook them so their extra soft and doughy.

P.S. Giggler, when I was going to UT, we would go to the Fiesta supermarket downtown and buy pork carnitas tacos at their little stand inside the store. They were awesome with the pico de gallo. You should go there if you're in the area.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Timothy: If you have a source for corn tortillas that have not been fried crisp, you can heat some oil in a smaller sized skillet, maybe to cover the bottom by 1/4 inch and when the oil is hot fry a tortilla for 3 seconds (1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3-one thousand) then turn and fry on the other side for another 3 seconds. The tortillas will be limp when you lift them out of the oil and you can then fill them with whatever down the middle and fold both the sides over to form the taco. I use a non-stick skillet and it works really well for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
Head Chef

Thumbs up for Munky's chorizo cooked with diced onions in tortillas with scrambled eggs, leftover potato chips, and grog con leche.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
Tim, soft corn tortillas are probably used more often than wheat by most Hispanic families, so yes they exist. I find the ones from the grocery stores are really stiff and crumbly, but fresh made ones are soft but strong. I just bought a pack of the corn flour called maseca from the grocery store in the Hispanic foods section and followed the instructions on the back. Corn tortillas are literally made out of hominy corn, salt and water, that's it. When you roll them out, you will need to put them between sheets of plastic wrap and you will have to play around with the amount of moisture to get it to not stick. The rolling out part is the hard part, so a tortilla press is really worth it. Then you just flop it on a hot skillet (a comal if you want to go all the way), turn it, and it's done. On the bag, they also give a recipes for huaraches which I might try sometime.
Thanks for all of that information,TexHerp. I'll look in the store and see if I can find the Maseca. There is a Mexican food store near me that almost for sure would have it.

I'll try my hand at making my own tortillas. It'll be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
Timothy: If you have a source for corn tortillas that have not been fried crisp, you can heat some oil in a smaller sized skillet, maybe to cover the bottom by 1/4 inch and when the oil is hot fry a tortilla for 3 seconds (1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3-one thousand) then turn and fry on the other side for another 3 seconds. The tortillas will be limp when you lift them out of the oil and you can then fill them with whatever down the middle and fold both the sides over to form the taco. I use a non-stick skillet and it works really well for me.
Thank you DMerry! I'll keep looking, but the only corn tortillas I've seen here are the crispy ones that are flat, but like a hard taco shell. If bent a little, they snap and break. I don't care for them. They're too crunchy for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Thanks for all of that information,TexHerp. I'll look in the store and see if I can find the Maseca. There is a Mexican food store near me that almost for sure would have it.

I'll try my hand at making my own tortillas. It'll be fun!

Thank you DMerry! I'll keep looking, but the only corn tortillas I've seen here are the crispy ones that are flat, but like a hard taco shell. If bent a little, they snap and break. I don't care for them. They're too crunchy for me.
The soft corn tortillas are found with the flour tortillas, usually on the bottom shelf.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The soft corn tortillas are found with the flour tortillas, usually on the bottom shelf.
I've never looked for them, but I'll bet they've always been right in front of me and I just didn't see them.

I'll look tomorrow if I go in the store.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
Half Baked

I go to the mexican market and get my tortillas when they are still warm and the bag is moist on the inside. I also get a hybrid tortilla that is corn and flour based from my supermarket.

As far as different tacos go some of more exotic ones here are

lengua=tongue
Al Pastor = beef in a chili sauce
sesos=brains...delicious if you can bring yourself to order them.
tripas=milk glands fried until crispy
birria=goat
cabeza= head and cheek meat (beef)

I have tried and loved them all.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They were in two places. One batch in the cooler by the cheeses and also in the Ethnic area with all the other Mexican foods.

I got a 24 pack of "Mission" Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas.

Soft tacos tonight!

Hamburger, Refried beans, Maters, Sweet onion, lettuce, 3 types of cheeses and some fresh jalapenos.

I got some adobo salsa to go on them also. Yum! Oink! Snort!

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

If you don't have a tortilla press, you can use two flat plates. However, the tortilla press makes all the difference when making corn tortillas. I use the recipe on the bag and add some ground chilpolte to the recipe. You can make flour ones without a tortilla press. I like to cook mine on my lefse griddle--it heats to 500 and the tortillas cook in about 30 seconds each side. To make perfectly round, uniform ones, I use an 8-inch round cake pan to cut any excess off.

I made deep-fried walleye tacos on homemade whole wheat tortillas when I was in MN. They were awesome. The garnishes were the same as one would normally use, but for the sauce I made a salsa verde.

Tags
None