"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Well, they were wrapped in corn husks and there was really no filling but were pink and tasted spectacular even though they were hot, which is a bit unusual for Midwestern tastes but good nonetheless. My buddy is originally from Michoucan (sp?) and his wife made them. Not much info but I hope it helps! :D
Actually that helps a lot... people from Michoacan are Crazy when it comes to their proficiency with fruit. Seriosly it's one of the places in Mexico I would love to aprentice in. All over the country you can find "Michoacan" style fruit drink carts and stuff like that, so Im not too surpised that they would have something like that.

MAN this sounds good... I personally would never think of using watermelon either, what an awesome idea. I need to give this a stab sometime soon.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
Master Chef

When I live in San Diego, I visited an elderly woman from my church and cleaned her bird cage once a month or so. She was of Spanish origin and made tamales every time I came to her house. Sometimes they were filled with savory, and peppery mixtures of meat, tomato, and spices, while other times they were sweet, as if made for a desert. These would have fillings like rasins, egg, and brown sugar, mixed with spices. She made a wonderful variety. Unfortunately, though I cooked those many years ago, I wasn't as passionate about learning everything I could and never asked for a recipe.

There is truth in the belief that age brings wisdom. As we grow older, we can look back at our mistakes, and our triumphs, and make more educated choices, and understand the things that bring true happiness, like good tamales .

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
Head Chef

I am going to have to make myself sit down and write down some of my tamale recipes!! I have been making them for so long and don't have to follow a recipe. I made more than 50 dozen this past Christmas season and still have at least 30 lbs. of pork shoulder in my big freezer to make more. My son-in-law keeps wanting more!!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
I am going to have to make myself sit down and write down some of my tamale recipes!! I have been making them for so long and don't have to follow a recipe. I made more than 50 dozen this past Christmas season and still have at least 30 lbs. of pork shoulder in my big freezer to make more. My son-in-law keeps wanting more!!
I would love to hear those sometime if you decide you want to post them. Writting down one's recipies always comes in handy in one way or another.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:47 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Please, please, PLEASE do! And post a few right here, if you don't mind!

I love good tamales with a passion! And the very best ones I've had came from a home kitchen, made with love. Just last week, a gal at work brought in an ice chest FULL of tamales her mother and grandmother had made the day before and with a wide variety of fillings. My favorite (although very difficult to choose) was a chicken-jalapeno filling. Ohhhh....

A warm, hearty welcome to the board, too, Shunka!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
Senior Cook

As I am TexasTamale,..... I figured, I better post my favorite Tamale Recipe!

This Recipe comes from a Cookbook entitled: Seasoned with Sun: A Blending of Cultures

published by the Junior League of El Paso, Texas.....

It has been my Bible!....It has wonderful recipes of "authentic mexican" recipes that I remember enjoying growing up on the Border.... http://www.jlep.org/jlep/cookbook.htm

I hope I have typed all correctely, as these Tamales are the best from the West! My family loves them! ...As I hope your's will too!

Hints On Making Tamales:

One pound of Masa to 1 Pound of meat makes approximately 1 dozen Tamales.

The Yield is determined by the size of Tamale. Filling may be prepared the day before and refrigerated. Beef as well as Chicken or Pork may be used. Masa harina may be purchased at most stores prepared. Canned red chile sauce may be substituted for fresh chile sauce, but the same rich flavor is not obtained. Finger Tamales make great appetizers. In making Tamales, the "cut end" of the corn husk is used as the "top", and the slim pointed end as the "bottom". Dried Red Chile may be purchased as mild or hot, whichever you prefer. Lard is important in this recipe, as it is "Authentic" for Mexican Tamales.....

Recipe Mrs. Mitchell's Hot Tamales:

3 1/2 pounds Chicken

3 1/2 pounds Pork Roast 2 teaspoons salt

(if Boneless 2lbs)

4 cups red chile sauce (Recipe follows)

2 tablespoons melted lard

2 1/2 pounds Corn Husks

5 pounds Masa Harina (already prepared)

24 pods dried Red Chile

1 1/2 Lard (not shortening)

4 Cups Water

5 tablespoons Baking Powder

1 Large Onion chopped

3 cups Meat Broth (from meat cooked for filling)

3 cloves Garlic (chopped)

7 tablespoons Salt (yikes !, but it is divided accordingly)

Boil Chicken and Pork Roast together and cook until meat falls off bones. ( I add garlic, black pepper, and jalapenos)

Remove from stove and let cool.

Clean and dry corn husks. (Corn Silks brush off eaiser when husk is dry) Wash them in Warm Water and leave them to soak, until ready to use.

Wash red Chile Pods and remove stems and seeds. (this step is eaiser "dry" also)

Bring Chile and Water to a boil; reduce heat and steam 10 minutes or longer.

Pour all into a Blender; blend until smooth and strain sauce thorough colander or seive to remove chile skins after blending. The Yield should beapprox 4 cups Red Chile Sauce. Add 2 Teaspoons Salt... ( I make alot of sauce, to add more if I want too)

Saute' onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons Lard; add 1 cup Broth (from meat), 2 cups red Chile sauce and 2 tablespoons Salt...... Add all of the meat and blend well (here's where I add more sauce)....... let simmer 20 minutes, adding more broth if needed.

(set aside)......

(This next step is for "prepared Masa"...... store bought....if you cannot find it ...follow the directions on the Bag of Masa Harina for "Tamales")....."Whip Lard" to consistency of whipped cream. Mix with Masa, adding baking powder and 5 tablespoons Salt. Beat until mixture is very fluffy....

Important: (masa will "float" on "top" when dropped into a cup of cold water....this means your at the correct consistancy). Add 2 cups of Chile sauce; mix well. More Broth may be added if Masa seems too thick to spread easily on corn husks. Spread Husks with Masa and Filling by placing 1 heaping tablespoon of Masa in the middle of husk and spreading toward outside edges, top and bottom. Spread closer to top of husk than bottom. Spread 2 tablespoons of filling in middle of Masa lengthwise. Overlap husk in a roll and fold bottom of husk up about 1 1/2 inches. Place on flat surface with fold underneath. Repeat until all Masa and filling has been used.

Steam Cook the Tamales by placing them upright on the folded end in steamer. Place husks or foil on top of tamales; cover tightly and steam 2-3 hours. If no steamer is available, use a large cooking vessel such as a cold-pack canner. Line the bottom with foil, as the husks scorch easily. Place Tamales on rack or pan inside of cooker and put a tin can, which has Broth ends opened, in the center. Stack Tamales around the can, and pour four or five inches of Water in cooker. Steam 2-3 hours tightly covered. Tamales are done when one can be rolled clear and free from the husk.....

If you cannot find Masa already prepared "wet" (in bags in the refrigerated section at the SuperMarket)... I would suggest following the directions on the Bag of Masa Harina for Tamales. (Lard is important, I use John Morrell)

Christmas is the Season for Tamales....and I suggest, you tell NO-ONE you are making these,......as they are "labor intense" and you will want the "fruits of your Labor" all to yourself!

#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None