"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Tamales, sauce or toppings please?

I find nice Tamales here, but for me, a bit dry.

I think they need a bit of sauce or toppings.

How do You serve Tamales?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Depending on the filling, you can use a green or red enchilada sauce. If they are dessert tamales, I haven't a clue.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My homemade ones have a juicy, meaty filling and the masa isn't dry because I add whole corn kernels. The ones I've had in two particular local restaurants serve theirs "open-faced" and they include a lot of filling, so they're not dry, either.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I usually used warmed up salsa or enchilada sauce (green or red). I top tamales the same way I would top enchiladas, based on what kind of tamales they are, beef, pork or chicken.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

I use enchilada sauce also with a twist. Both red and green enchilada sauces are too strong for me. I use an can of sauce and a can of creamed soup mixed together for the topping.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't like them to be drowned in sauce. But I do like a pico de gallo that adds some extra flavors and colors. But good tamales should be able to stand pretty much on their own. They're too much work to end up with just shredded meat rolled in corn dough. Although the local Mexican bakery this year had some excellent fat tamales that were stuffed with plenty of wonderfully seasoned shredded pork. And with just the meat, they could do well without sauce.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm glad this discussion has come about. Its the sauces i am interested in making.

Last time i made tamales, I picked up three giant bags of dried chili peppers. Very hot, hot and mild.

I used a combination of the three by bringing them to a boil and allow them to cool.
I think I left them in the fridge over night as they did not seem soft enough.
The next day, I proccessed them and strained them.
I them added seasonings.
It was okay. I saved some in the freezer and the next time i used it, my wife raved about how good it tasted.

I need some ideas, ingredients and some basic rules for making these sauces from dried chili's.

Oh...whats the shelf life of dried chili's?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I actually find the topic of sauces for tamales a little surprising. The tamale masa and the filling should provide plenty of moisture and flavor.

I use pulled pork or chicken mixed with salsa for my filling. Here's a recipe from Marcela Valladolid that includes a method for making red chile salsa from guajillo chiles: Pork and Red Chile Tamale Filling Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I would say a year for dried chiles. They won't go bad, but the quality will diminish. I would store them in the freezer, to keep bugs away.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I use sauces or gravy on everything. It helps when you are unable to chew well.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I agree with GG, I don't usually make. sauce for my tamales, I have had a kind of gravy served on them in restaurants, I sometimes with guacamole and sour cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Tags
sauce