Tapas: Fried Calamari Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Princess Fiona: Manhattan´s Little Italy

Good Afternoon,

During my last trip to New York City, in April 2010, I had noticed that numerous American Italians had either migrated to other neighborhoods and / or had relocated for professional reasons.

I had a long chat with the owner of an Italian Trattoria who knew my dad and mom, and he had told me that many new generation Italian Americans preferred " the house and backyard suburban lifestyle " and thus, they have moved on. ( note: several new generation Italian Americans ).

I encountered, Mott Street to be even more Chinese and Chinese American and have inched their way into the zones up until West Houston, Prince, Spring, La Guardia Place ... However, Bleeker is still pretty much the same as it had always been, with blue bars and pubs. Mac Dougal and Bleeker still houses many of the old family traditional Italian Trattorias.
My favourite Grand Street Deli, still carries my pecorino / ewe milk fiore sardo cheese.

My Italian grandmom Margherite had lived on Thompson between Prince and Spring ... and there are many tiny restaurants located there now and a couple of Italian food retailers, however, many of the old timers are now gone, including Al Pacino´s Dad and my dad ( aged 94 ), neighbors; and unfortunately; I had gone to N.Y.C. for his funeral and it was quite a not a pleasant stay by any means. Lots of relief yet, still quite emotional.

Margi Cintrano

thanks andy, lp, and alix. he lives and breathes hockey... until fishing season starts.

margi, for most of my life, little italy in nyc has been getting smaller and smaller as asians - primarily chinese - moved in. the italian "neighborhood" is down to just a section of grand and mott streets now.

interestingly enough, the asian community that took over is starting to shrink, being taken over by other ethnic groups like middle easterners, and it's also gentrifying, being taken over by yuppies. it's funny to hear the local chinese leaders and community boards complain about it

Last edited:
You see the same thing happening in neighborhoods across America. Our North End was Irish and then became Little Italy. Then the Yuppies began buy condos as the old timers were dying off. The kids had moved out to suburbia and didn't want to come back into the city. Now the Asians are buying condos there.

In the surrounding neighborhoods of Boston proper, you see Latinos moving in and replacing the Italians, Blacks, Irish, etc. We are also getting a lot of people from the Baltic countries of Europe. As the Latinos move out to suburbia, these folks will be replacing them. Our local newspaper prints the real estate sales for each week. You see more and more, the seller is Italian and the buyer is a Latino. And every so often you see the seller is Latino and the buy a Baltic native. Neighborhoods constantly evolve and change. :yum:

@ Craig: Calamar, Calamari, Encornet & Lula

Good Afternoon Craig,

Calamar ( In Spanish), Calamari ( Italian ), Encornet ( French ) and Lula in Portuguese or the " Loligo Vulgaris Breed ( of Squid ) " in the Iberian waters, possess 10 tentacles, appearing like arms, extending from its´ facial structure, beneath its eyes ...

Your question was, what about tentacles and can they be eaten ?

These Puntillas, the " slim pointy arms " or tentacles used to catch fish for eating purposes and defense ( when thinking of tentacles we normally think of an octopus´ thick outer layer of skin possessing tentacles ), yes, can be sliced and fried if wished.

Do note, they are very fine, as the average length of a squid in Portuguese Atlantic and south western Spain are 40 centimetres; baby squid at 25 cm and large adult squid at 70 cm.

Thanks for feedback.

M.C.

Good Afternoon Craig,

Calamar ( In Spanish), Calamari ( Italian ), Encornet ( French ) and Lula in Portuguese or the " Loligo Vulgaris Breed ( of Squid ) " in the Iberian waters, possess 10 tentacles, appearing like arms, extending from its´ facial structure, beneath its eyes ...

Your question was, what about tentacles and can they be eaten ?

These Puntillas, the " slim pointy arms " or tentacles used to catch fish for eating purposes and defense ( when thinking of tentacles we normally think of an octopus´ thick outer layer of skin possessing tentacles ), yes, can be sliced and fried if wished.

Do note, they are very fine, as the average length of a squid in Portuguese Atlantic and south western Spain are 40 centimetres; baby squid at 25 cm and large adult squid at 70 cm.

Thanks for feedback.

M.C.

No, I was not asking if the tentacles can be eaten, as I said, they are the best part.:rolleyes: As you have suggested to others, re-read my post.:) The rest reminds me of high school marine biology class. Thanks for the flash back!;)

Craig

Back
Top Bottom