"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #21
Head Chef

Hi Bryan, I'll try to post my recipe for Larb Moo (Spicy Ground Pork Salad) in the next few days.

Meantime, regarding your quest for a Thai-flavored dry rub, it would interest you to know that FritoLay is doing big business here with their Lays potato chips. To tap the Thai people's love for spicy, flavorful snacks, they've concocted a few Thai-inspired potato chip flavors such as Mien Kam (the appetizer dish I described in my first post on this thread), sweet basil & chili, and another flavor I can't quite recall (it wasn't so good anyway). My favorite is the Mien Kam flavor -- basically the taste is tangy, sweet, sour, salty, hot with the flavor of lime and other spices. The sweet basil & chili flavor is quite good too and tastes exactly like what it says but sweetish.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
As I have been pouring through Thai recipes and cookbooks I think my problem is that Thai dishes can be fairly complex. As you stated "tangy, sweet, sour, salty and hot.

My last attempt at the Thai rub, I added fresh basil and cayenne (actually more of a wet rub than dry, but anyway). I think it still falls short of what I am expecting but will dredge forward. The Anise seems to be a good route, I like the Asian Dry Rub as it was, but I am having a time with a citrus flavor. I used Rose's Lime Juice the other day (mainly because it was Margarita time) but I do not think it tasted as citrusy. I am going to try with dry lime , lemon or orange peel as soon as I can go out and get some.

I look forward to your Larb Moo recipe,
Bryan

Old 07-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox
...but I am having a time with a citrus flavor...
Have you considered cardamom?

Tom
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Cardamom, excellent. I forgot about the citrus flavor and will add it to my list. Not sure I have any here.

I know there are a couple types of Cardamom. Do you know if one is stronger than the others.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #25
Senior Cook

There's a choice?

Quote:
...I know there are a couple types of Cardamom. Do you know if one is stronger than the others.
Then you know more than I do!

Tom
Old 07-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
Master Chef

Never heard of cardomom in Thai cuisine... I would think the very strong taste would be sort of overpowering. But maybe I am confused and you are trying to make an Indian curry rub or something? I am easily confused.

Try dried kaffir lime leaves for the citrus.

Also, dried bird chilis.

Penzey's makes a Thai spice mixture. The ingredients in it may guide you (galangal, lemongrass, garlic, etc).

Another beautiful book: "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Kaffir lime leaves are on my list as well. I can sometimes get them fresh here in Chicago but need to walk down to the Thai Grocery (actually named Thai Grocery or maybe its Market) to check.

I found Cardamom in the pantry and to be honest, as much as I cook, I can not remember using it begore except when I make Garam Marsala. Anyway I made a test batch with Cardamom and think I put to much in it. Knowing that the Cardamom I found was at least 1 year old and not having much faith in it having any flavor was really strong and fragrant. The Cardamom, although definately in the right direction, over powers the Anise. Maybe I will try another batch later and tone it down, and if my wife likes me today will check for fresh lime leaves on her way home.

Bryan
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Repeat effort

Quote:
I was digging through some spice blends the other day to try and define a Thai flavor and came across the following rub recipe. I used it on chicken.
Bryan,

I tried the seasoning again last night on grilled leg quarters. But this time, I made a marinade of it using vegetable oil & apple juice. I thought it was excellent!

How's that latest effort coming?

Tom
Old 07-27-2005, 08:47 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Nicely done! I have used apple juice on pork and loved it as well. I have been chained to my desk lately but am still going to re-make the dry rub with Kaffir Lime Leaves and Galangal when I can sneak out.

I am going to try the oil/apple juice/dry rub marinade as well. I should know better than to start talking chow in the morning, it makes me hungry.

Thanks for the marinade tip and checking in on the Thai dry rub. I will be sure to let you know when I make another attempt.

Bryan
Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Every now and again I make curry paste. This opened a discussion with my younger brother about 'what is a true Thai flavor'. Curry always makes me think of Thai food but Tim says Lemongrass reminds him of Thai and that curry is too universal to be Thai specific (whatever).

My question;

What flavor or flavors remind you most of Thai cooking?

Bryan
Curry is true Thai flavor, but only if it's Thai curry. A lot of Asian cuisines have their own curry (Indian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) but each one tastes different from the rest.

Tags
None