"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Tasteless

Pirate knows I like the corn tortillas and not the flour ones. So one day, thinking he was doing good, he bought me a large package of them. Normally I will saute one in butter and use it like a piece of bread. This package of them had absolutely no flavor to them. FLAT! Someone forgot to put some salt in the dough.

So now either I can salt them (tried it, didn't help) and then saute them, or toss them. Any suggestions? Even plain white bread is better than these tortillas. (I hate wasting food.)

Old 05-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I like Taco Bell's gringo $1 tostada. Skip the mesquite sauce they add.

Visited my sister in law a few years ago. She doesn't cook. I loved the 5 gallon bucket of vendor made beef and chicken corn tamales she bought for my visit. Addie, I hadn't eaten many before then, but ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 5 days straight. Delicious.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Visited my sister in law a few years ago. She doesn't cook. I loved the 5 gallon bucket of vendor made beef and chicken corn tortillas she bought for my visit. Addie, I hadn't eaten many before then, but ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 5 days straight.
Sounds like a feast made in heaven. I will have to use them as I would use bread for sandwiches. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pirate knows I like the corn tortillas and not the flour ones. So one day, thinking he was doing good, he bought me a large package of them. Normally I will saute one in butter and use it like a piece of bread. This package of them had absolutely no flavor to them. FLAT! Someone forgot to put some salt in the dough.

So now either I can salt them (tried it, didn't help) and then saute them, or toss them. Any suggestions? Even plain white bread is better than these tortillas. (I hate wasting food.)

Just off the top of my head...tacos, nachos, enchiladas, huevos rancheros, taquitos, tostadas, cut in strips and fried for taco salad toppings....

What they are used with enhances the flavor of corn tortillas much more than if they were eaten plain.

Oil should be used for frying rather than butter though, and they can be fried to varying degrees of crispness depending upon your liking. I've never had a corn tortilla sauteed in butter for a sandwich, so can't comment on that method.

Store bought corn tortillas and steamed tamales using fresh masa are two very different things.

That was a nice gesture from Pirate to buy them for you, knowing that you like them.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

Addie, corn tortillas are one of those things that are really good, or taste like cardboard. It all comes down to the masa the tortillas are made from.

About all you can do with bland corn tortillas is load them up with flavors. Butter with some salt and pepper might work. You can also deep fry them and make tortilla chips to dip in some salsa. I would most likely go with the fried tortilla chips route. Whip up a salsa or queso dip, and go to town with them.

CD
Old 05-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I bought some corn tortillas at Walmart, years ago, when they were not available everywhere. They were the least flavorful corn tortillas that I ever had.

One thing I discovered about the best tortillas, that I have bought in Mexican groceries, is the fact that the smell of the masa is so intense that it comes through the plastic! When I would see them in supermarkets, I smell them, to see if that masa smell is there; if not, I don't buy them there.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quite a few years back we had a little mom and pop Mexican restaurant here in town that made their corn tortillas on site. We could watch them being made, and buy them fresh. They were the best I've ever had.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Open the window and toss them like frisbees, the birds and squirrels will love them!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

why don't you dipped it in sugar syrup for a while and shallow fry it. Or you can also break it into pieces and add some milk with Jaggery or sugar over it. Let it cook on low flame for sometime. Hope it works for you!
kenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Open the window and toss them like frisbees, the birds and squirrels will love them!

I am glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that. I have certainly been known to put out boring grain products for the birds and squirrels.

Tags
None