Thai appetizer----Leaf Wrapped Salad Bites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Of course that's the English version for the dish.
I've had/made this many times and can personally attest to how great it is.

The list of ingredients is:
Salad
1 lime
1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 shallots, about 1 ounce each, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
5 or 6 fresh bird’s eye chilies, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup meaty dried shrimp

20 to 30 cha-phlu leaves or 3-inch squares collard green or Chinese broccoli leaves (I use spinach leaves)

The sauce recipe given is too complicated and I use nuac cham and Sweet Thai Chili sauce.

20140520-293185-cook-the-book-leaf-wrapped-salad-bites-thumb-625xauto-401678.jpg

Those leaves look similar to betel which a market near me sells. I wonder how they would do instead of the salad?

Those leaves look similar to betel which a market near me sells. I wonder how they would do instead of the salad?

You're right---- I believe I read that those leaves are a relative of betel. But, as I said---- I use spinach leaves. No stained teeth for me! ;)

Those things seem like accompaniments to me.

That you would combine with poached chicken or shrimp or tofu. And maybe some cabbage and daikon and snow peas.

And the sorta large pieces of raw ginger .... Not sure I could do that.

But I do love fresh rolls and ssam.

Those things seem like accompaniments to me.

That you would combine with poached chicken or shrimp or tofu. And maybe some cabbage and daikon and snow peas.

And the sorta large pieces of raw ginger .... Not sure I could do that.

But I do love fresh rolls and ssam.

Maybe you've invented a new dish :yum: but they've always been served as an appetizer in the Thai restaurants I've been to--- or at a buffet.

Maybe you've invented a new dish :yum: but they've always been served as an appetizer in the Thai restaurants I've been to--- or at a buffet.
Yes, the leaves are pretty small.
I am reminded of Greek stuffed grape leaves. A meal would just be a lot of them.
I wonder how grape leaves would do? I have had Vietnamese stuffed grape leaves that were very good.

Yes, the leaves are pretty small.
I am reminded of Greek stuffed grape leaves. A meal would just be a lot of them.
I wonder how grape leaves would do? I have had Vietnamese stuffed grape leaves that were very good.
I am only familiar with fresh wild grape leaves. They are not something I would eat without blanching. Even then, I would not eat them until steaming the stuffed dolmadas. I've never used the ones sold in jars. Don't know if they have that "bitter grape leaf" taste or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom