"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Head Chef

Thai appetizer----Leaf Wrapped Salad Bites

Of course that's the English version for the dish.
I've had/made this many times and can personally attest to how great it is.

The list of ingredients is:
Salad
1 lime
1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 shallots, about 1 ounce each, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
5 or 6 fresh birdís eye chilies, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup meaty dried shrimp

20 to 30 cha-phlu leaves or 3-inch squares collard green or Chinese broccoli leaves (I use spinach leaves)

The sauce recipe given is too complicated and I use nuac cham and Sweet Thai Chili sauce.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Those leaves look similar to betel which a market near me sells. I wonder how they would do instead of the salad?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Those leaves look similar to betel which a market near me sells. I wonder how they would do instead of the salad?
You're right---- I believe I read that those leaves are a relative of betel. But, as I said---- I use spinach leaves. No stained teeth for me!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Master Chef

Those things seem like accompaniments to me.

That you would combine with poached chicken or shrimp or tofu. And maybe some cabbage and daikon and snow peas.

And the sorta large pieces of raw ginger .... Not sure I could do that.

But I do love fresh rolls and ssam.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Those things seem like accompaniments to me.

That you would combine with poached chicken or shrimp or tofu. And maybe some cabbage and daikon and snow peas.

And the sorta large pieces of raw ginger .... Not sure I could do that.

But I do love fresh rolls and ssam.
Maybe you've invented a new dish but they've always been served as an appetizer in the Thai restaurants I've been to--- or at a buffet.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Maybe you've invented a new dish but they've always been served as an appetizer in the Thai restaurants I've been to--- or at a buffet.
Yes, the leaves are pretty small.
I am reminded of Greek stuffed grape leaves. A meal would just be a lot of them.
I wonder how grape leaves would do? I have had Vietnamese stuffed grape leaves that were very good.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with this so did a search. Do you rinse the ginger? It does seem like it would have a pretty strong flavor.

Leaf-Wrapped Salad Bites (Miang Kham) From 'Simple Thai Food' | Serious Eats : Recipes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting. I wasn't familiar with this so did a search. Do you rinse the ginger? It does seem like it would have a pretty strong flavor.

Leaf-Wrapped Salad Bites (Miang Kham) From 'Simple Thai Food' | Serious Eats : Recipes
I never rinsed the ginger but I love the strong taste of ginger. The size of the ginger pieces look larger than the ones I did.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Yes, the leaves are pretty small.
I am reminded of Greek stuffed grape leaves. A meal would just be a lot of them.
I wonder how grape leaves would do? I have had Vietnamese stuffed grape leaves that were very good.
I am only familiar with fresh wild grape leaves. They are not something I would eat without blanching. Even then, I would not eat them until steaming the stuffed dolmadas. I've never used the ones sold in jars. Don't know if they have that "bitter grape leaf" taste or not.

Tags
recipe, salad

Thai appetizer----Leaf Wrapped Salad Bites Of course that's the English version for the dish. I've had/made this many times and can personally attest to how great it is. The list of ingredients is: Salad 1 lime 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice 2 shallots, about 1 ounce each, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice 1/2 cup roasted peanuts 5 or 6 fresh birdís eye chilies, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick 1/3 cup meaty dried shrimp 20 to 30 cha-phlu leaves or 3-inch squares collard green or Chinese broccoli leaves ([B]I use spinach leaves[/B]) The sauce recipe given is too complicated and I use nuac cham and Sweet Thai Chili sauce. [IMG]http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/assets_c/2014/05/20140520-293185-cook-the-book-leaf-wrapped-salad-bites-thumb-625xauto-401678.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews