Thai Coconut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treklady

Cook
I belong to an organic produce co-op and in our delivery today we received a Thai coconut. The thing is quite large. My question is...can it be used the same as a regular coconut or do they handle or cook differently.

And any recipes with this thing are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of a coconut is it. Is it a green one or a brown one. The green coconut are younger and because of that you use it differently than a brown coconut sold in stores.

The green coconut is normally full of water. You use the water and eat the soft cream from the coconut. You can then discard it.

If it's a brown coconut you can open it (by hammering or some other force). Remove the flesh from the shell and then you can make coconut milk from it or if you are like me and love coconut you can cut the flesh into peices and enjoy chewing on it.

I don't think it makes a different if either of this variety is organic or not. I guess from my palate perspective it's not refined enough to tell the difference.

Yakuta said:
What kind of a coconut is it. Is it a green one or a brown one. The green coconut are younger and because of that you use it differently than a brown coconut sold in stores.
Wondering the same thing. Is it green or brown? I cook a lot with coconut milk.

This is not like the coconut you are referring to. This thing looks like it came from Yankee Candle store. It has already been shucked and hulled. The mat of the coconut (which is what I have) is an off white ivory colored coconut. But unlike the hollow coconut meat we are all used to, this thing is solid meat.

I am just at a loss as what to cook with it. I am open to any and all suggestions.

O.K. shucked and hulled coconut. I have seen those in farmer markets and actually even bought some.

They actually remove the green outer peel and leave the inner white part. They also losen the top and wrap it in seran wrap and sell it.

Can you confirm if this is what you are looking at.

If this is the case it is still a young coconut and it should have cream in it (that needs to be eaten on it's own) and some have a lot of water and others don't

This is not the coconut to make coconut milk out of but it's perfectly edible.

Forgot to add you cannot make coconut milk out of it. It has to be eaten as is. The cream is delicate and the texture will be destroyed if you cook it.

The only other thing you can make out of it is coconut icecream. You can blend the cream with sugar, left over coconut water and heavy cream. Strain it and then freeze or pour it into an icecream maker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom