Thai Coconut Fish Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Here is my recipe for Thai Fish Curry. It's something I've cobbled together over the years, essentially stealing what I consider the best parts of different recipes that I've enjoyed. I actually like this as more of a stew, so I switched to light coconut milk to cut some calories and doubled the amount called for in the original recipe. It's soupy, but you could also serve it with rice, I suppose.

With regard to the vegetables, feel free to use whatever you have on hand. I've used broccoli, broccolini, Chinese spinach, and even canned bamboo shoots. It's a good way to use up vegetables.

Hope you enjoy it!

Thai Coconut Fish Curry
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Halibut (or other firm white fish), cut into 1" pieces
  • 2 14 oz cans light coconut milk
  • 1-2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (Maesri recommended), depending on how much heat you like
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger or galangal
  • 2 stalks lemongrass, white portion only, bruised (I give it a few whacks with the smooth end of a meat mallet)
  • 2 tbsp brown or palm sugar
  • 1 kaffir lime leaf, destemmed and cut into a very fine chiffonade (optional)
  • 1/2 small onion, cut julienne 2" strips
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut julienne into 2" strips
  • 1 carrot, cut julienne into 2" strips
  • 8 oz fresh green beans, cut into 1" pieces. Can sub other veggies, including broccoli, bamboo shoots, or Thai eggplant.
  • 12 fresh Thai basil leaves, left whole (can substitute Italian basil)

Preparation:
  1. In a wok over medium heat, combine coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, lemongrass, palm sugar, and kaffir lime leaf. Bring to a low boil and cook until mixture is reduced by one third and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add onion, red bell pepper, carrot, and green beans. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are just cooked through but still crisp.
  3. Add fish and basil leaves. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until fish is opaque. Adjust seasonings as desired and serve hot.

img_1396346_0_7d8c528eda5b5fad4f75b3082d9c1a5c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom