Thai Curry - Restaurant Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've tried jared paste, not impressed. I'm not going to continue to waste money on different premade paste, just to find out I did waste my money.:( I'd rather not have something, than have something sub-par.;)

I like Maesri canned pastes a little better, Mae Ploy in the plastic tubs is probably more economical but I find they have kind of a rank odor (from the shrimp paste/fish sauce)? I've never seen Mae Ploy cans.

I'm not crazy about the jarred paste by itself, either, but I use it as a base and add more Thai seasonings till I like it. I bought some kaffir lime leaves and galangal online (they keep in the freezer forever) and have lemongrass growing in the garden, and of course fish sauce, etc., in the cupboard, so I can add authentic flavors.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about the jarred paste by itself, either, but I use it as a base and add more Thai seasonings till I like it. I bought some kaffir lime leaves and galangal online (they keep in the freezer forever) and have lemongrass growing in the garden, and of course fish sauce, etc., in the cupboard, so I can add authentic flavors.

LOL, I have have a kaffir lime tree and grow galangal, but not the lemongrass.

Hm, I might try growing galangal next year. I'd love to have a lime tree, but we would have to bring it inside for the winter and we don't have space near a sunny window to put it.

Hm, I might try growing galangal next year. I'd love to have a lime tree, but we would have to bring it inside for the winter and we don't have space near a sunny window to put it.

Id love to have a lime tree too!!

My lemongrass plant was a beut this year but it got out of hand and I had an impossible time harvesting ...:mad:

Mine got really big, too. DH is going to cut off the leaves and harvest some of the roots for me. I want to move it because it shaded out too many of my other herbs. It's beautiful, but it just gets too big.

:LOL: Lucky for me, he loves to work in the yard ;) Hey, a trip to Boston in the fall might not be a bad idea, though. We don't get great fall color here.

Back
Top Bottom