Thai Drunken Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Here's the dish I made for National Garlic Day - Drunken Noodles, with 24 cloves of garlic! I cut the very large cloves in half, and count them as two, but it's a lot of garlic! And it has 8 fresh (frozen now) red Thai peppers, and 6 dry Thai peppers, ground up with the garlic and basil, to make a potent seasoning. This was probably the hottest dish I have made for several months.
Thai pesto ingredients - garlic, peppers, and basil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mise en plase - prepared pesto, fish and oyster sauces, white pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomatoes, scallions, and shallots, cut up, and ready to add to wok. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pesto added to ground beef. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pasta, added to wok. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomatoes, scallions, and shallots, added after the fish and oyster sauces were stir fried. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Final additions of sugar and tomato sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished drunken noodle dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here's the recipe, for the adventurous ones. It only takes about 5 min., once the ingredients get added to the wok. I used white sugar this time, as the light brown was sort of lumpy, and I didn't feel like pressing it through a sieve! lol And the original recipe had Italian basil, which I liked better than Thai, when I tried that later on, but the two together were probably the best, when I tried that.

Drunken Pasta

1 lb spiral pasta
1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
24 cloves garlic
8-10 fresh Thai dragons or superchilis
6-8 dried Thai dragons
1 cup(s) Italian basil; loosely packed
3 tb oil
1 lb ground beef; OR turkey or pork
20 small thai egg tomatoes; halved
OR 6 medium plum tomatoes; each cut into 6 pieces
3 scallions; cut into 1 in. pieces
3 medium shallots; sliced thin
3 tb fish sauce
3 tb oyster sauce
4 tb light brown sugar
1 8 oz. can(s) tomato sauce
1 tb Sarawak white pepper; freshly ground
1/4 cup(s) cilantro (fresh); coarsely chopped

A. Cook pasta until not quite done - about 8 min.- and drain. Toss with the chicken broth and set aside.

B. Combine the garlic, peppers, and basil in food processor, and process to a paste. Measure out and cut all ingredients and have within reach of stove.

C. Heat a large wok (I use my 20") over high heat; add oil, swirl, and heat briefly. Add meat and cook 45 sec to a min., pressing into pan, turning and pressing again, until totally browned. Add chili/garlic/basil paste and stir-fry 45 sec. Add pasta and SF 45 sec. Add tomatoes, onion, and scallions and SF 45 sec. Add fish and oyster sauces and sugar, and SF 30 sec. Add tomato sauce and pepper and SF 1 min. Serve, garnished with fresh cilantro.

Options: Use 1 lb rice noodles, soaked 20-30 min. in warm water, until flexible. Reduce cooking 30 sec., to avoid turning to mush. This doesn't reheat well, and is best served all at once.

Fresh serranos and dried japones or de arbol peppers may be used in place of the Thai peppers.

It is even more potent when the pesto is made in a mortar, breaking all of the cells of the garlic and peppers! I usually pound the peppers, followed by the garlic, then scrape it into the FP, to make the paste with the basil.

In the winter this can be made with 3-4 tb. frozen basil paste, and a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes in puree, in place of the fresh tomatoes and can of sauce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom