Thai sausages, Isaan-style (ไส้กรอกอีสาน)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sourdoughsweetgirl

Assistant Cook
Thai sausages, Isaan-style (ไส้กรอกอีสาน)

Me and my mom made some Thai sausages, Isaan-style. Isaan is a region in northeastern Thailand with different food and dialect, and that's where we come from.
Unfortunately I don't have the exact ratios (seriously I've never seen anyone Thai use exact measurements when cooking) but in these sausages we had garlic, porkbelly and already cooked rice. Just mix, stuff the sausages and let dry! These smell really good and taste the best when grilled. I don't have a picture of them cooked, but just google "ไส้กรอกอีสาน" and you'll find it!
33.png

42.png

14.png

That looks mouth-wateringly delicious! Of course, being an indolent cook, I would probably just form these into patties and fry them up....

Are they hot and spicey like most Thai food?

The sausages aren't so spicy (although you can add in chili if you want to!) but usually we eat them with some spicy sauce instead.

Can you give us some basic ingredient ratios to start at, please.

Around 700 grams of meat, 400 grams of rice, 10-15 cloves of garlic and salt after checking again! How many depends on size, but a few lengths I think.

Can you give us some basic ingredient ratios to start at, please.

This would be really helpful for those of us who are drooling over these sausages and are interested in Thai cuisine. :)

Nice pictures. But they make me hungry. :pig:

When you say "Let Dry", Please go a bit further as to the process and ingredients. You didn't mention any salts ,acids, or temperatures involved and I would be concerned about food safety aspect with the drying of raw meats.

Add a few more ingredients, including pork liver and you will have a nice Boudin. But I also love Thai, so I will make this sometime. Thanks for the basics.

I found a similar recipe online. The only difference is that it includes a few more flavoring ingredients (galangal, kaffir lime, cilantro, lemongrass). It also makes 5 lbs of sausage, so there would be plenty to freeze.

Blazing Hot Wok: Isaan-style Sausages

Thanks for that Steve. I will be picking up a Kaffir lime tree in the next few days. No more frozen leaves. Now if I could find fresh galangal.

This would be really helpful for those of us who are drooling over these sausages and are interested in Thai cuisine. :)

Nice pictures. But they make me hungry. :pig:

When you say "Let Dry", Please go a bit further as to the process and ingredients. You didn't mention any salts ,acids, or temperatures involved and I would be concerned about food safety aspect with the drying of raw meats.

Let dry in room temperature for one day and then put in refrigerator or grill immediately! If not eaten within three days, I would suggest to freeze it.

Thanks for that Steve. I will be picking up a Kaffir lime tree in the next few days. No more frozen leaves. Now if I could find fresh galangal.
Our local Thai market sells fresh galangal, as well as fresh kaffir leaves. Or at least they do during the warmer months. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them there.

Our local Thai market sells fresh galangal, as well as fresh kaffir leaves. Or at least they do during the warmer months. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them there.

We don't have a Thai specific market and the local Asians only carry frozen. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom