"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Thanks for providing this info.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Good Evening Jenny,

I appreciate your feedback, however, it looks as if there are some questions. I have used 3 reputable research materials to gather the names of the Mexican Chili Peppers ...

So, with this in mind, I shall re-check, however, I have already done that as I was hand writing the information prior to the typing on the D.C. Forum.

Then, MINI GUIDE 2 CHILI PEPPERS which focuses on the Mexican chili peppers not mentioned in number 1, are incorrect --- the ones mentioned in numbers 1 to 8, are from a UK Chili Guide.

Well, let me see in the morning, after I have re-researched my notes, to make sure all is correct on my end. I had not done this without a tremendous amount of research and I did not do this in English either so the Mexicans are wrong too !

Until tomorrow,
Margi.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Half Baked

I know the Hatch chili wine sounds crazy but it good. Every single person that we have had tasted it wound up liking it. I would buy more if I could get it local.

The bottle says produced and bottled by southwest wines deming, NM

1.888.swwines

www.southwestwines.com

Worth a try! I promise!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Master Chef

Margi

I quoted your post #14 from this thread. Also, California peppers are dried Anaheims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano

Anchos called Chipotles, Poblanos and Jalapeņos, as well as the La Basilicata, Italia and the Iberian Peninsula varieties have not been included as I have had plans to do a Part 2 - MINI GUIDE ...
Other than this, if you like feeling great as we do, avoid Asian in Madrid or Puglia !

JALEPEŅOS, POBLANO CALLED PASILLAS, ANAHEIM OR CALIFORNIA & CHIPOTLE shall be added to the PART 2 however, I am only able to add what I have tasted, thus, there are 5 Basilicata types and a few Iberian ones ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Ancho peppers are not called chipotles

Poblanos are not called passillas

Ancho peppers are dried poblano peppers.

Chipotle peppers are dried and smoked jalepeno peppers.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i like to drop a few bird eyes in a bottle of oil to make chilli oil.i put them in a sieve & pass them thru' the hot steam from a kettle beforehand to kill any bacteria.stops the oil going cloudy.do the same with peeled whole garlic cloves.
Putting anything fresh that is grown in soil in oil creates a botulism risk. I'd check to make sure your steaming technique is safe.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Cave Creek Chili Beer! I miss you so much! Iced down to super cold with that rush of serrono heat at the end. Now there is your "Icy-Hot". Don't forget to try the xnipec sauce/salsa! I believe I posted a recipe a while back.

Copied and pasted:
Carnitas maybe? Nothing says taco better than pork simmered in pork fat! A little Xnipec (pronounced Schnee Pic, which is Nahuatl for Dog's Nose Salsa) to really heat things up!

Juice of 4 limes
1 red onion diced
4 habanero chiles, stemed, seeded and diced
1 tomato diced
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Soak onion in lime juice for at least 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and salt to taste.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

craig, i was just going to post about ed's cave creek chili beer. great stuff!!! sadly, i haven't seen it for a long time, though.

margi, jenny is quite right about the peppers she mentioned. while your efforts are certainly appreciated, writing a "guide" about something with which you have very limited experience, and are posting from translated research is being somewhat over-confident in your abilities, imo.

it would be like me writing a difinitive guide to tapas bars in madrid after having a few plates if tapas at a spanish restaurant here in nyc, then reading up on it translating from spanish texts, and expecting you to actually use it as a guide.

maybe you could post a thread about the chilis from italy and spain, the ones that you've actually used in cooking?

again, the correct info you've posted is interesting and appreciated, just not a "guide".

the reason i responded in this way is that i wouldn't want a new person just lurking in the site to find info on chilis, and thinking we were inexperienced cooks not worth their time since we have guides that clearly have incorrect information. members come and go, but what keeps a site interesting is the continuous addition of new folks and all of their life experiences to add to those older members who stay around in an ever increasing, supportive community.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I wonder, just did a quick search and found that Cave Creek is being brewed in Tecate, Mexico and distributed world wide. Could it be and taste the same? Have to see if Total Wine and Spirits can bring some in for a test drive!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks. i'll have to look for it in some of the larger alcohol distributors in my area.

the thing i loved about ed's chili beer was that the heat from the little chili bottled within it would somehow leach into the beer, so it was a surprise the first time you tried it. liquid heat.

i guess capsaicin is alcohol soluble?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks. i'll have to look for it in some of the larger alcohol distributors in my area.

the thing i loved about ed's chili beer was that the heat from the little chili bottled within it would somehow leach into the beer, so it was a surprise the first time you tried it. liquid heat.

i guess capsaicin is alcohol soluble?
I guess it must be. My oldest brother used to do chili cook offs and everyone had their version of one or another screamer chili in vodka or grain. They would all put on a great show of "chugging" some, but only the "suckers" they got to bite would actually drink it.

Tags
chili, pepper, spices, vegetables