The Chili Pepper Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might be very rare in the UK. But, we want to make sure that other people don't think it's safe to just plop some garlic in oil and keep it. I know you passed yours through steam, but I didn't even notice that until Jenny mentioned it.

From the Center for Disease Control website, CDC - Botulism, General Information - NCZVED

"How common is botulism? In the United States, an average of 145 cases are reported each year.Of these, approximately 15% are foodborne, 65% are infant botulism, and 20% are wound. Adult intestinal colonization and iatrogenic botulism also occur, but rarely. Outbreaks of foodborne botulism involving two or more persons occur most years and are usually caused by home-canned foods. Most wound botulism cases are associated with black-tar heroin injection, especially in California"
on a population size comparison ratio you do have 4x the incidence per capita that we have in the uk so i can understand your concerns plus,if you take out the 20+ cases associated with the hazelnut yogurt which was clearly a manufacturing problem,there is practically a zero incidence over here,which is why i am not overly concerned.
but you & jenny are absolutely right to point it out & then it is up to the individual reading the post to make their decision

on a population size comparison ratio you do have 4x the incidence per capita that we have in the uk so i can understand your concerns plus,if you take out the 20+ cases associated with the hazelnut yogurt which was clearly a manufacturing problem,there is practically a zero incidence over here,which is why i am not overly concerned.
but you & jenny are absolutely right to point it out & then it is up to the individual reading the post to make their decision

Statistics are all well and good but meaningless if you do something stupid that encourages botulism growth. Then you impact the stats for others to quote.

thanks. i'll have to look for it in some of the larger alcohol distributors in my area.

the thing i loved about ed's chili beer was that the heat from the little chili bottled within it would somehow leach into the beer, so it was a surprise the first time you tried it. liquid heat.

i guess capsaicin is alcohol soluble?

I got by Total Wine and Spirits yesterday and inquired about the possibility of them getting some in. They directed me to the Mexican beer section and now I have 2 six packs!:LOL:

D.C. Colleagues, Buongiorno.

Thanks for all your contributions and the information ... Learning something new daily is my philosophy.

Ciao, have great wkend,
Margaux Cintrano.

Back
Top Bottom