"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My thoughts also. And I am inclined to think it might be the spices. The only part of the onion that may be bitter would be the core at the bottom where all the sulfur is stored. And it could be the kind of onion you are using. Here in the States we have several kinds of sweet onions we can choose from.
Actually, sulfur is found throughout the onion. That's what stings your eyes when you cut into one. In culinary school, after 20 students practiced dicing onions, someone in the hall outside the classroom thought there was a gas leak

Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, sulfur is found throughout the onion. That's what stings your eyes when you cut into one. In culinary school, after 20 students practiced dicing onions, someone in the hall outside the classroom thought there was a gas leak
When ever Pirate (a plumber) or Spike (Contractor) get a complaint, they first thing they ask is where are the onions. When onions are rotting, they give off the smell of leaking gas.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Great minds! I was just chopping veg for soup and as I was cutting up the onions It struck me that the bitterness could come from the sulphur, particularly if they had been left to stand after chopping.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When ever Pirate (a plumber) or Spike (Contractor) get a complaint, they first thing they ask is where are the onions. When onions are rotting, they give off the smell of leaking gas.
When I worked on the emergency service at the gas company I often sent an engineer to a gas escape only for him to report back that it was onions!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Great minds! I was just chopping veg for soup and as I was cutting up the onions It struck me that the bitterness could come from the sulphur, particularly if they had been left to stand after chopping.
I never cry from working with onions. I never cut into the core. I never buy huge onions. I know I will never use a whole one. And I hate to put a cut one in the fridge. No matter how tight you wrap it. Some of the odor will escape.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

I chop up leftover onion and freeze it for soups and casseroles, etc.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I chop up leftover onion and freeze it for soups and casseroles, etc.
I used to do that. I had a friend that used to work at Haymarket open air stalls. One time he brought me a 50# bag of restaurant size onions. I cut up about five or six, and gave the rest to my neighbors. Then there was the 50# bag of potatoes, a carton full of celery, far too many tomatoes, snow pea pods. We sure lived good that summer. And so did my neighbors. Every Saturday all summer long, there was far more food than any of us could use up. I could have sold it I suppose, but I can't do things like that to my neighbors. Charge someone for something I got for free. I am not a greedy person by nature. I am the one who causes havoc when there are about 100 people in line and I will let someone get in ahead of me.

He stopped working there when the cold weather came. And he didn't go back the next summer.

This was not food that he was stealing. It was food that was being tossed away for the garbage truck to come and take it all away. Now that food all goes to the Food Bank.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Onions are very high in sugar - that's why they caramelize, but burning their sugar means an instant bitterness that won't go away!
Using any oil other than good quality olive oil could lead to bitterness. Vegetable oils are particularly prone to being made by plants that are either too young or too old giving the oil an "off" taste.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I have just had another thought as to what may have caused the bitterness...I was cooking a dopiaza and it may have been the crispy fried onions! I must learn how to do this properly.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthseaxa View Post
I have just had another thought as to what may have caused the bitterness...I was cooking a dopiaza and it may have been the crispy fried onions! I must learn how to do this properly.
The sugars in onions require a lower heat. Lower the heat and let them cook slowly. When they are done, remove from the heat immediately to stop the cooking.

Tags
garam masala, onions, other, tomatoes etc.