The French Misconnection!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Road Food is our choice for a Travel Forum. Let's try to keeps the Forum Headings simple, if you have a question, we are certainly happy to explain the wording on the site based in the US. It would be very difficult to create forums across the board that make sense to people from around the world.

Back to the topic at hand Misunderstandings and language differences about food from country to country.

If you would like to continue this pursuit of new forums or changing titles to established forums please post in the TECH/Admin Forum.

I do not know if we need a vote to create something like this, but if we do count me as 1. What do other people have to say?

We donb't need a vote, I'll get it started in the Road Food Forum if you want me to do that.

I couldn't believe the amount of meat case space given to tripe in this town :shock:

There's a lot of tripe space here in Montana, too! I think there is a trend going on up here as all the Mexican restaurants are advertising Menudo and it's not just for Cinco de Mayo.

So if you travel within your own country , driving , train trips, coaches etc then it's Road Food , but if you fly abroad whats it called ? It's not a road trip is it ? It just sounds a bit limiting. Then again , in the US you fly to other states, is it still a road trip ?

Confused Numpty
England

So if you travel within your own country , driving , train trips, coaches etc then it's Road Food , but if you fly abroad whats it called ? It's not a road trip is it ? It just sounds a bit limiting. Then again , in the US you fly to other states, is it still a road trip ?

Confused Numpty
England

You are taking words too literally. Road Food is the food you eat while traveling, it accounts for any traveling, by sea, plane, train, car, dog sled or covered wagon. It is the heading for the forum at Discuss Cooking that accounts for any food eaten while traveling.

It can be food you have brought with you, food you have purchased and cooked yourself or food you purchase in a restaurant.

Hmm I think how we would describe a road trip here just has a different meaning . Travelling overseas to another country is plain old travel or a holiday . No matter , horses for courses :)

Just thought of a menu misunderstanding that happened to me.

I was very much younger and thought I knew it all.We were on our way to Bruges and had stopped off on the way in Poperinge. We went to a restaurant and I saw something called Filet Americain on the menu.

I thought it was going to be a nice steak wit all the American trimmings.

It was actually a kind of Steak Tartare. I had never eaten raw steak before and not wanting to show my ignorance ate it rather than sending it back.

It was actually delish, so a rather fortuitous mistake on my part.

I actually ate it again on a recent return to Belgium.

Hmm I think how we would describe a road trip here just has a different meaning . Travelling overseas to another country is plain old travel or a holiday . No matter , horses for courses :)

Here in the States, we have an expression. "Let's hit the road." That could mean catch a bus, train, plane, or even walk. In that case it would be to a local eatery. But you are eating away from home. And I think I am in agreement with the meaning in that it should be food not found in our own country that we found to be interest, different or even unpleasant for our own taste buds. But it is not served in our own home. A food that is new to us. :angel:

The only type of miscommunication I've had is before I even entered a restaurant. On a trip into the city with my mom, amid trying to apartment hunt, we decided we wanted asian food (didn't care which variety). We drove along until we found something that seemed fitting and went inside. Little did we know, we found ourselves a dim sum restaurant. No one spoke even a lick of English. At the time, we had NO idea what was going on and left after being approached a few times. All I remember is being so overwhelmed by everything.

I still haven't made it to a dim sum place, but now that I'm more familiar with them I can't wait to try someday.

Sorry,but I really like Andouillette. There, I've said it in a little voice! :LOL:However, we don't eat it like that here. We eat it sliced really thin as part of a selection of charcuterie to have with drinks, sundowners or 'Aperitifs'
Served like that, especially when made by a good butcher and is fresh and peppery it is delicious. I, like mad cook have never been tempted to eat the usual 'tripe' although my Aunt adored it.

I once had an experience similar to Craig's original post. My wife and I went to Paris with our daughter many years ago. I think she was 11 at the time. We had made dinner reservations at a wonderful little restaurant called Le Florimond, which was close to our hotel. They had a prix fixe menu where you could select appetizer, entree, and cheese/dessert. One of the entrees was "crepinette de veau." My daughter asked what that was. My limited French interpreted this as being some sort of small savory crepe made with veal. Well, she thought that sounded delicious.

When the waiter came to take our order, she asked for the crepinette de veau.

The waiter cocked an eyebrow and looked at my wife and I.

"Young lady," he asked her in English, "Are you sure you would like the crepinette? It is a sweetbread, you know."

This really made her eyes light up. All she heard were the words "sweet" and "bread" - two of her favorite foods. In her mind I'm sure she was picturing a pastry. I, of course, heard something completely different. ;)

I looked at her and said, "Honey, I don't think you would like sweetbreads."

"Why wouldn't I? I think it sounds good. Yes, I think I would like the sweet bread." she insisted.

I said "okay then. Sweetbreads, it is."

The waiter shrugged and took the order. I ordered steak medallions and my wife ordered fish.

When the small chalky sort of things arrived (thankfully covered in gravy), the look on her face was priceless. I explained that it was probably brains, but, since she had been so insistent on ordering it, she needed to at least try it.

I have to give her credit for being brave. She ate three bites before deciding she didn't like it and putting down her fork.

I ended up giving her most of my steak, and I finished the crepinette, which was actually quite delicious.

To this day, she is a relatively adventurous eater, but has gotten much better at asking questions when there is something she doesn't quite understand. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom