The French Misconnection!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We weren't even in a foreign country to run up against our experience. Our son's tripping stone was "soft-shelled crabs" when he was somewhere around the age of 10. We were going from OH to FL and stopped to visit family in VA. When we were at a seafood restaurant he saw them on the menu. Even though none of us were familiar with exactly how soft the crab was, he decided to be brave and order it. When they came out breaded, fried and whole, complete with little legs all hanging out there, he blanched a bit. Food trooper that he is, he ate all of them, save the one he could convince his Dad to try. Neither his sister nor I were were willing to trade our food for his. :LOL:

CG, I've lived in Virginia since 1985 and I have never tried soft-shell crab! It's supposed to be a great delicacy, available May through September - the molting season :ermm: :LOL: I guess I really should try it sometime.

Soft shell crab is really good! Years ago, one of our little town's restaurants had it as a special. I had no idea what to do with it either, thankfully the owner told me to eat it all. It was nicely battered, and even the little legs were delicious.

Last edited:
CLT sandwich!:yum: Lightly coated with a flour, salt and pepper dredge, then pan sauteed in butter. White sandwich bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo!:yum: Oh man! In second place, a nice soft shell crab Po Boy with remoulade would fit the bill.:yum:

We were at my son Poo's graduation from Yale dinner and at a Turkish restaurant. A favorite food of Poo's in-laws. I had no idea what the dishes were. So there is a section for seafood. Now I am deathly allergic to iodine in seafood. I asked Poo to pick something for me from the seafood section. I thought he would order a local fish.

My dinner arrived. Scallops. That seemed safe enough. Sometimes I can eat them, sometimes not. I took one bite of a very small piece and immediately had to spit it out. I whispered to Poo that it was loaded with iodine. And highly flavored with Turkish seasoning. He whispered back, make like you are eating. So I pushed the food around my plate, cut some of it up, and every so often Poo would reach over with his fork and take some of my food. By the time the meal was over it looked like I had eaten more than half. I no longer order scallops when eating out. Poo picked me up something to eat at Burger King on the way home. And I had to share the FF with my grandson.

From that day on, if I am going to eat seafood, it is always at home and always fried clams. I have never had a problem with them.

I was a little upset. This was not the in-laws day, it was Poo's day. And he should have been the one to decide what food we were all going to eat. When I mentioned this to him, he said they had already made the reservations a day or so ahead. They took it out of his hands. He would have taken us all to an Italian restaurant. His in-laws have been to Italy many, many times and are quite familiar with the food. :angel:

CLT sandwich!:yum: Lightly coated with a flour, salt and pepper dredge, then pan sauteed in butter. White sandwich bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo!:yum: Oh man! In second place, a nice soft shell crab Po Boy with remoulade would fit the bill.:yum:

That's the way to cook soft crabs. :clap:

But I'll pass on the Bread, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. :rolleyes:

I don't want anything to get in the way of the crab. :yum:

Not a misunderstanding about the food but.................

Once I was taken to one of those Japanese restaurants where they prepare the food at the table.

The chef arrived and began to prepare the chow.
I picked up my fork in anticipation.
He asked to see my fork and when handed over he tucked it away and said to me. "What do you think this is? Applebees? This is Japanese restaurant. You use chopstick."
Well I did.
After a while I asked to see my fork.
With a smile on my face I said look.
I used the fork to cut a piece of meat in 1/2 and said. "Chop"
Then skewered the piece with the fork and said. "Stick"
Pointing at the fork I said. "Chopstick"
Got a huge smile and nod of approval from him for that.
I gave him back the fork and used his chopsticks for the rest of the evening.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom